William L. Armstrong
|William L. Armstrong|
|United States Senator
January 3, 1979 – January 3, 1991
|Preceded by||Floyd K. Haskell|
|Succeeded by||Hank Brown|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Colorado's 5th district
January 3, 1973 – January 3, 1979
|Preceded by||New district|
|Succeeded by||Ken Kramer|
March 16, 1937 |
|Alma mater||Tulane University
University of Minnesota
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/branch||United States Army National Guard|
|Years of service||1957–1963|
William Lester "Bill" Armstrong (born March 16, 1937) is an American businessman and politician. He is a member of the Republican party and served as a United States Representative and Senator from Colorado.
Armstrong was born in Fremont, Nebraska, and graduated from Lincoln Northeast High School. After attending Tulane University and the University of Minnesota without receiving a degree, he served in the United States National Guard from 1957 to 1963.
In 1972, Armstrong was elected a United States Representative to the 93rd Congress. He was reelected to the 94th and 95th Congresses (January 3, 1973–January 3, 1979). In 1978, Armstrong was elected to the United States Senate, defeating Democratic incumbent Floyd K. Haskell. He was reelected in 1984 and served from January 3, 1979, to January 3, 1991. While serving in the United States Senate, Armstrong was the chairman of the Republican Policy Committee (99th through 101st Congresses). Armstrong opted to retire and did not seek reelection in 1990.
- "William L. Armstrong". NNDB. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- "ARMSTRONG, William Lester, (1937 - )". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
- "Sen. William Armstrong". Govtrack.us. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- "Greetings from the President". Colorado Christian University. Retrieved October 6, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to William L. Armstrong.|
- William L. Armstrong at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- NNDB William L. Armstrong
- govtrack.us: Sen. William Armstrong
- Colorado Christian University: Greetings from the President
|United States House of Representatives|
|New district||Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Colorado's 5th congressional district
Kenneth B. Kramer
|United States Senate|
Floyd K. Haskell
|U.S. Senator (Class 2) from Colorado
Served alongside: Gary Hart, Timothy E. Wirth
|Party political offices|
Gordon L. Allott
|Republican Party nominee for United States Senator from Colorado (Class 2)
|Chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee