William Missouri Downs
|William Missouri Downs|
William Missouri DownsNickname:
Bay City Michigan
William Missouri Downs,originally from Bay City, Michigan, is an American playwright, director and author.
William Missouri Downs is the 2012-2013 winner of a rolling opening from the National New Play Network. His plays have been produced by the Orlando Shakespeare Theatre, the Wisdom Bridge Theatre in Chicago, the New York City Fringe Festival, The InterAct Theatre in Philadelphia, The San Diego Rep, the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (as part of the AT&T Performing Arts Festival), The Berkeley Repertory Theatre, the Salt Lake City Acting Company, the Actors Theatre of Charlotte, the International Theatre Festival in Israel, the Stadt Theater Walfischgasse in Austria, the Detroit Rep, the Durban Performing Arts Center in South Africa, and over 100 other theatres worldwide.
Bill is represented by the Beacon Agency in New York City.
He holds an M.F.A. in acting from the University of Illinois and an M.F.A. in screenwriting from U.C.L.A. He was trained in playwriting by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Lanford Wilson (5 July, Talley's Folly), in screenwriting by Oscar-winning screenwriter Stirling Silliphant (In the Heat of the Night, The Poseidon Adventure) and in directing by Oscar-nominated director Jerzy Antczak (Nights and Days). Bill also spent several years studying playwriting with Milan Stitt (Yale School of Drama) at The Circle Rep Theatre in New York City.
In Hollywood, Bill started as a script secretary on NBC's Moonlighting (Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd), and his acceptance into the prestigious Warner Brothers Sitcom Writing Workshop paved his way as a staff writer on NBC's My Two Dads (Paul Reiser). He also wrote episodes for the NBC shows Amen (Sherman Hemsley) and Fresh Prince Of Bel Air (Will Smith). In addition he sold a movie to Ron Howard's Imagine Films and optioned another to Filmways. While a student at UCLA film school, Bill won numerous screenwriting awards, including the Jack Nicholson prize.
- Downs, William Missouri.; Wright, Lou Anne.; Ramsey, Erik. (2011). THE ART OF THEATRE : Then and Now. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth. ISBN 0-15-506325-1.
- Downs, William Missouri.; Wright, Lou Anne.; Ramsey, Erik. (2007). THE ART OF THEATRE : a Concise Introduction. Belmont, CA: Thompson Wadsworth. ISBN 0-495-00180-5.
- Downs, William Missouri; Russin, Robin U. (28 January 28, 2005). NAKED PLAYWRITING: The Art, The Craft, And The Life Laid Bare. Silman-James Press. ISBN 1-879505-76-2.
- Russin, Robin U.; Downs, William Missouri (July 2003). SCREENPLAY: Writing the Picture. Silman-James Press. ISBN 1-879505-70-3.
- Downs, William Missouri; Wright, Lou Anne (14 August 1997). PLAYWRITING: From Formula to Form. Wadsworth Publishing. ISBN 0-15-503861-3.
- KOSHER LUTHERANS Published by Samuel French
- COCKEYED Published by Samuel French
- THE "M" WORD
- BOOKS ON TAPE
- FORGIVING JOHN LENNON
- DEAD WHITE MALES
- THE EXIT INTERVIEW Published by Samuel French
- THE TRIAL OF AYN RAND
- SEAGULLS IN A CHERRY TREE
- HEADSETS - A VIEW FROM THE LIGHT BOOTH - Published by Heuer Publishing
- INNOCENT THOUGHTS Published by Next Stage Press
- Bows, Bob (2010-06-03). "Vintage makes case for living in the present". Denver Post.
- Denver Post http://blogs.denverpost.com/runninglines/2011/10/04/national-new-play-network-selects-william-missouri-downs/4154/
|url=missing title (help).
- "William Missouri Downs Resume". University of Wyoming. Retrieved 2008-06-30. Professor Downs' resume as posted on the University of Wyoming website.