William Ponsonby, 1st Baron de Mauley
William Francis Spencer Ponsonby, 1st Baron de Mauley (31 July 1787 – 16 May 1855) was an English Whig and Liberal politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1826 and 1837. He was raised to the Peerage in 1838.
Ponsonby was elected Member of Parliament for Poole in 1826 and held the seat until 1831. He was then MP for Knaresborough between June and December 1832. At the 1832 UK general election he was elected MP for Dorset and held the seat until 1837. In 1838 he was created Baron de Mauley.
When the marriage of his sister Lady Caroline Lamb to William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne began to break up, he strongly supported Caroline. Unfortunately he was not noted for tact or intelligence- William's devoted sister Emily Lamb, Lady Cowper described him as universally regarded as " an ass and a jackanapes". He reminded Melbourne that the Lamb family were socially parvenu and that his sister had married beneath her; although true, these remarks were so tactless that Melbourne broke off any further dealings with him.
- Hon. Charles Frederick Ashley Cooper (1815–1896)
- Hon. Ashley George John (1831–1898)
- Hon. Frances Anne Georgiana (d. 1910), married George Kinnaird, 9th Lord Kinnaird.
- "William Francis Spencer Ponsonby, 1st Baron de Mauley of Canford", The Peerage, 2 February 2011
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "P" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- Lord David Cecil Melbourne Pan Books edition 1965 p.151
- Cecil p.151
- Cecil p.151
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by William Ponsonby
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Poole
With: Benjamin Lester 1809-1835
Sir John Byng
Hon. Henry Cavendish
|Member of Parliament for Knaresborough
With: Hon. Henry Cavendish 1830–1832
|Member of Parliament for Dorset
Served alongside: Lord Ashley 1831–1846
William Bankes 1832–35
Henry Sturt 1835–1846
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron de Mauley
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|