William S. Powell
William S. Powell (born April 28, 1919) is an American historian, writer and academic. He is professor emeritus of history at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, having retired in 1986.
He received the North Carolina Award for literature in 2000. He is the author or editor of several books on North Carolina history, including the Encyclopedia of North Carolina, The North Carolina Gazetteer and the Dictionary of North Carolina Biography.
His wife is Virginia. He has three children and 11 grandchildren.
- "William S. Powell". ncpedia.org/. Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- Winston-Salem Journal, Monday, November 20, 2006. A look at historian William S. Powell's life and career
- The Heritage Center – William S. Powell Collection
- University of North Carolina Press – North Carolina, a History
- Bookwatch Blog, Tuesday, November 06, 2007. William S. Powell Shares His Landmark Publication, Encyclopedia of North Carolina On UNC-TV’s North Carolina Bookwatch, Friday, November 16, at 9:30 PM!
- Endeavors, Spring 2007. N.C., A to Z. Review by Jason Smith of Encyclopedia of North Carolina, edited by William S. Powell.