William Sears (physician)
William Penton Sears (born 9 December 1939) is an American pediatrician and the author or co-author of more than 30 parenting books, most notably several in the "Sears Parenting Library." He is a frequent guest on television talkshows, where he goes by the name Dr. Bill. He and his wife Martha Sears, R.N., are among the leading proponents of the attachment parenting philosophy.
Life and career
Sears was born in Alton, Illinois, the son of Lucille and Willard Sears, an engineer.
Sears' residencies were taken at Children's Hospital Boston and the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. As of 2004, he was an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, Irvine.
He is a medical and parenting consultant for BabyTalk and Parenting magazines and the pediatrician on the website Parenting.com. According to his biography, he has been a guest on more than 100 television shows including: 20/20, Donahue, Good Morning America, Oprah Winfrey, CBS This Morning, CNN, Today Show and Dateline.
Sears and his wife Martha have eight children, one of whom (Stephen) has Down Syndrome. Three of the children have also become doctors, Jim (the oldest) (The Doctors), Bob (second oldest), and Peter. A fourth son, Matt, is currently studying medicine at UC Irvine.
Sears and several of his family members are distributors and spokespersons for Juice Plus dietary supplements, which Sears promotes on his website. National Safety Associates (NSA), the company that markets Juice Plus, used testimonials from Bill Sears in advertisements promoting Juice Plus Gummies. In April 2005, the Better Business Bureau's National Advertising Division, in response to a consumer complaint, deemed that the ads misleadingly implied that the Gummies are low in sugar and are a nutritional alternative to fruits and vegetables. In response, NSA promised to modify its ads and stop claiming that the product is “the next best thing to fruits and vegetables”.
- The Baby Book (1993)
- The Discipline Book (1995)
- SIDS: A Parent's Guide to Understanding and Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (1996)
- The Attachment Parenting Book (2001)
- The Successful Child: What Parents Can Do to Help Kids Turn Out Well (2002)
- The Healthiest Kid In The Neighborhood (2006)
- The Pregnancy Book
- The Birth Book
- Parenting the Fussy Baby
- The A.D.D. Book
- The Breastfeeding Book
- The Family Nutrition Book
- The Premature Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Premature Baby from Birth to Age One (2004)
- Contemporary Authors: A Bio-bibliographical Guide to Current Writers in Fiction, General Non-fiction, Poetry, Journalism, Drama, Motion Pictures, Television and Other Fields, Volumes 9-12, page 371
- AskDrSears.com - Dr. Bill
- FOXNews.com - Asthma Out of Control in America's Kids - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News
- AskDrSears.com - About us
- AskDrSears.com - Juice Plus+®
- AskDrSears.com - Our story about Stephen
- "How product testimonials bend the rules", Consumer Reports, January 2006
- Meet the Doctors - Dr. James Sears