William W. Early House (Brandywine, Maryland)
William W. Early House
William W. Early House, December 2008
|Location||13907 Cherry Tree Crossing Rd., Brandywine, Maryland|
|Architectural style||Queen Anne|
|Part of||Early Family Historic District (#12001024)|
|NRHP Reference #||88000984|
|Added to NRHP||June 30, 1988|
|Designated CP||December 12, 2012|
The William W. Early House is a Queen Anne-style house located at Brandywine in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, and is privately owned. It was constructed in 1907. According to a 1989 Historic American Buildings Survey report on the house, "The William W. Early House is probably the best example of turn-of-the-century Queen Anne-style domestic architecture in the county."
William W. Early had the house built on the property of his childhood home which included 23 acres of land. He was the grandson of William H. Early, an important landowner and developer of the village of Brandywine. William W. Early was the general manager for the Southern Maryland Railroad; this house contained his business office. The family resided in the house until 1949.
There were minor changes to the house in 1940 and 1970 for modernization.
This Queen Anne style house is roughly square, with a hip-roofed 2 1⁄2-story main block, and asymmetrical gable-roofed extensions, projecting bays, and corner tower, all decorated with fine jigsawn and shingle detail. A two-story octagonal tower forms one corner of the house.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "William W. Early House". Historic American Buildings Survey. 1989. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "William W. Early House". Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- Susan G. Pearl (November 1987). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: William W. Early House". Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
- Ryan McDermott and Ahmar Mustikhan (Sep 27, 2007). "Marilynn Bland visits historic home". Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./Gazette.Net. Retrieved 2012-10-03.
- William W. Early House, Prince George's County, Inventory No.: PG:85A-9, including photo in 1985, at Maryland Historical Trust website
- M-NCPPC Inventory of Historic Sites (Prince George's County); William W. Early House, entry 85A-032-09, p. 174
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-989, "William W. Early House, 13907 Cherry Tree Crossing, Brandywine, Prince George's County, MD", 9 photos, 10 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- Description of House: several current photos and a list of features of the William W. Early House