William Sydney "Wes" Wesley (born August 14, 1964 in Camden, New Jersey) is a consultant for Creative Artists Agency. Known as "World Wide Wes" or simply "Wes," he is noted for his relationships with numerous high-profile National Basketball Association (NBA) players and team owners, college basketball head coaches and their agents. Considered by many observers within the industry as a power broker and one of the most influential men in the business side of basketball, he forged those strong ties without being associated with any business entity.
He is associated with many of the league's most prominent players, including Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Richard Hamilton and Allen Iverson. Wesley is a longtime client of Iverson and James's agent, the Philadelphia attorney Leon Rose.
Wesley played high school basketball for Pennsauken High School in Pennsauken, New Jersey. Playing for rival Camden High School was Milt Wagner, who later went on to the University of Louisville and the NBA. Wagner claims that Wesley became his friend and confidant during high school, and that he introduced Wesley to Michael Jordan, among other pro basketball luminaries.
In the early 1980s, Wesley worked as a salesperson at Pro Shoe, a sporting goods company, specializing in high-end basketball shoes, across the street from the Cherry Hill Mall.
Involvement with current players and coaches
Wesley is involved with The Family, a Detroit-area youth basketball team supported by former Chicago Bulls guard Richard Hamilton, and counts among his closest friends Hamilton, Iverson, and Dajuan Wagner, the son of Milt Wagner and a first-round pick in the 2002 NBA Draft. All are clients of Rose.
Wesley was also very visible in the months leading up to LeBron James' defection from agent Aaron Goodwin. Goodwin, who signed James out of high school, had helped him earn a lucrative contract with Nike. James signed with Rose during the summer of 2005.
- Thamel, Pete. "Agency Role Could Limit Basketball Broker's Power," The New York Times, Monday, August 2, 2010.
- French, Alex (August 2007). "IS THIS THE MOST POWERFUL MAN IN SPORTS". GQ. Retrieved 2007-07-15.
- Girard, Fred (May 29, 2005). "Who is basketball mystery man Wes Wesley?". Detroit News. Retrieved 2006-01-20.
- Windhorst, Brian (June 5, 2005). "Mystery man behind scenes". Akron Beacon Journal. Retrieved 2006-01-20.
- Anthony Schoettle (The Score) (May 21, 2010). "UK's Calipari shows IU what it has in Cream". Indianapolis Business Journal. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- John Rooke (March 30, 2013). "John Rooke - Thinking Out Loud". Go Local Prov. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- TrueHoop.com William Wesley Section - A collection of theories & articles about William Wesley hosted on TrueHoop.
- 2001 New York Times Magazine Article - Feature on Dajuan Wagner that also prominently mentions Wesley.
- 2007 GQ Article - Comprehensive expose on WorldWide Wes
- 2008 New York Times Article On Wesley