|Born||William Arthington Worsley
5 April 1890
Hovingham Hall, Yorkshire, England
|Died||4 December 1973
Hovingham Hall, Yorkshire
|Spouse(s)||Joyce Morgan Brunner|
|Issue||Sir Marcus Worsley, 5th Bt
(George) Oliver Worsley
Katharine, Duchess of Kent
|Parents||William Worsley, 3rd Bt.
Augusta Mary Chivers Bower
Worsley followed Major Arthur Lupton as captain, but only accepted the position after the Yorkshire committee had initially offered Herbert Sutcliffe the captaincy. Sutcliffe refused the offer after controversy broke out over the decision. The county lost only twice whilst Worsley was captain. He was awarded his county cap in 1928.
A right-handed batsman, he scored 722 runs at 15.69, with a highest score of 60 against Hampshire, and took 32 catches in the field. His great-uncle, George Cayley, played four games for the MCC and Cambridge University.
He was President of Yorkshire CCC from 1960, until his death in 1973; and was President of the MCC in 1962.
He was born at Hovingham Hall, Yorkshire, England, the son of Sir William Henry Arthington Worsley of Hovingham, 3rd Baronet (born 12 January 1861) and Lady Worsley (Augusta Mary Chivers Bower) (died 1913).
His paternal grandparents were Sir Arthington Worsley of Hovingham, 2nd Baronet (21 December 1830 - 3 June 1861) and Marianne Christina Isabella Hely-Hutchinson (5 May 1832 - 11 August 1893): his maternal grandparents were Edward Chivers Bower and Amelia Mary Bennett-Martin.
He married Joyce Morgan Brunner (died 1979), daughter of Sir John Fowler Brunner, 2nd Baronet, and wife Lucy Marianne Vaughan Morgan, on 20 May 1924 at St. Margaret's, Westminster.
They had four children.
- (William) Marcus John Worsley, 5th Baronet (born 6 April 1925, died 18 December 2012),
- (George) Oliver Worsley (born 22 February 1927, died 30 November 2010),
- John Arthington Worsley (born 15 July 1928) and
- Katharine Lucy Mary Worsley (born 22 February 1933) married Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, thereby becoming Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent.
He was Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding of Yorkshire from 1951 to 1965.
- Warner, David (2011). The Yorkshire County Cricket Club: 2011 Yearbook (113th ed.). Ilkley, Yorkshire: Great Northern Books. p. 382. ISBN 978-1-905080-85-4.
- Hill, Alan (2007). Herbert Sutcliffe. Cricket Maestro. Stroud, Gloucestershire: Stadia. p. 114.
- "Wisden - Notes by the Editor". Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 1928 – online archive. EspnCricinfo. Retrieved 23 December 2009.
- York Press, report of death
- The Yorkshire Regiment, World War I Remembrance - Photos
- 1961 - 1970 | Honorary graduates | About the University | University of Leeds
The Marquess of Zetland
|Lord Lieutenant of the North Riding of Yorkshire
The Marquess of Normanby
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|