William of Bitton (nephew)
|William of Bitton (II)|
|Bishop of Bath and Wells|
|See||Diocese of Bath and Wells|
|Elected||10 February 1267|
|Term ended||4 December 1274|
|Consecration||after 17 April 1267|
|Died||4 December 1274|
William of Bitton, usually known as William of Bitton II (or William Button; died 1274) was a medieval Bishop of Bath and Wells.
William was a son of Sir Adam of Bitton in Gloucestershire and the brother of Thomas Bitton who was precentor, archdeacon of Wells and Dean of Wells and Bishop of Exeter. His uncle was William of Bitton I, Bishop of Bath and Wells. He was rector of Buckland from 1257 and rector of Congresbury in Somerset from 1252. Before 13 December 1262 he was a canon of Bath and Wells, and was archdeacon of Wells as well as rector of Middlezoy in Somerset by 20 April 1263.
William was elected as bishop on 10 February 1267 and consecrated after 17 April 1267. He was not active in political or governmental events, although he did go to a council in 1269 that objected to ecclesiastical taxation. He, like his uncle, mainly worked in his diocese, and regulated the liturgical life of his cathedral and endowed the cathedral with some property.
William died 4 December 1274 and was buried in Bath Cathedral. Some veneration was given to him after his death, but no formal canonization ever occurred. He should not be confused with his uncle the first William of Bitton who was also Bishop of Bath and Wells, but who died in 1264.
- British History Online Bishops of Bath
- Shaw "Button, William (d. 1274)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- British History Online Unidentified Prebends of Bath
- British History Online Archdeacons of Wells
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 228
- British History Online Archdeacons of Wells accessed on 23 September 2007
- British History Online Bishops of Bath accessed on 23 September 2007
- British History Online Unidentified Prebends of Bath accessed on 23 September 2007
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Shaw, David Gary (2004). "Button , William (d. 1274)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/4237. Retrieved 15 November 2007.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Bath and Wells
|This article about a British Catholic bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|