William of Kilkenny
|William of Kilkenny|
|Bishop of Ely|
|See||Diocese of Ely|
|Elected||circa 29 September 1254|
|Term ended||21 September 1256|
|Predecessor||Hugh of Northwold|
|Successor||Hugh of Balsham|
|Consecration||15 August 1255
by Boniface of Savoy
|Died||21 September 1256
William may be the same William of Kilkenny who was elected Bishop of Ossory in 1231, but resigned the office in 1232 before being consecrated. Whether that William is the same William that later became Bishop of Ely, the man who later became bishop was a king's clerk by 1234. He was sent to Rome on royal business twice, once in 1234–1235 and again in 1237. In 1238 he left royal service, and was employed by two successive bishops of Durham, Nicholas of Farnham and Richard Poore. By May 1247 he was back in royal service, for in that month King Henry III of England sent him overseas.
William died on 21 September 1256, in Spain where he had gone on a diplomatic mission for the king. His heart was sent to Ely for burial in Ely Cathedral. His only known relative was a nephew who held land in Waterford and was knighted in 1254. He had constructed an elaborate tomb that remained empty, and is now located near the high altar in the north choir aisle of Ely Cathedral. His heart was buried near the altar of Saint Etheldreda.
- Stacey "Kilkenny, William of (d. 1256)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- British History Online Bishops of Ely
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 85
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 244
- Sayers "Once 'Proud Prelate'" Journal of the British Archaeological Association pp. 77–78
- British History Online Bishops of Ely accessed on October 25, 2007
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Sayers, Jane (2009). "A Once Proud Prelate: An Unidentified Episcopal Monument in Ely Cathedral". Journal of the British Archaeological Association 162: 67–87. doi:10.1179/006812809x12448232842376.
- Stacey, Robert C. (2004). "Kilkenny, William of (d. 1256)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/15527. Retrieved 2 April 2008.
Sir John Lexington
|Catholic Church titles|
Hugh of Northwold
|Bishop of Ely
Hugh of Balsham
|This article about a United Kingdom bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|