Williamsfield Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Williamsfield Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Ashtabula County
|• Total||25.6 sq mi (66.2 km2)|
|• Land||24.8 sq mi (64.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,145 ft (349 m)|
|• Density||66/sq mi (25.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085746|
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Andover Township - north
- South Shenango Township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania - northeast
- West Shenango Township, Crawford County, Pennsylvania - southeast
- Kinsman Township, Trumbull County - south
- Gustavus Township, Trumbull County - southwest corner
- Wayne Township - west
- Cherry Valley Township - northwest corner
Name and history
When whites first arrived in what is now Williamsfield Township, the land was inhabited by a small number of Delaware Indians. The first white man to settle in the township was Charles Case, who came from Connecticut in 1804.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The board is currently composed of chairman Thomas Martin and members Gordon Eastlake and Thomas Lahti.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Williamsfield township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 495. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.