Williamstown High School (New Jersey)
|Williamstown High School|
|700 N. Tuckahoe Road
Williamstown, NJ 08094
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Monroe Township Public Schools|
|Vice Principals||David Babich
|Faculty||130.2 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||1,835 (as of 2012-13)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.09:1|
|Athletics conference||Tri-County Conference|
Williamstown High School is a four-year comprehensive communitypublic high school located in the Williamstown section of Monroe Township in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States, serving students in ninth through twelfth grades as the lone secondary school of the Monroe Township Public Schools. The school was established in 1958.
As of the 2012-13 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,835 students and 130.2 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 14.09:1. There were 392 students (21.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 157 (8.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Construction on the current school building began in 1994 and was completed in 1997. Prior to 1997, Williamstown High School was located in what is currently Williamstown Middle School. The school mascot is a Brave (see here) and the school colors are Royal Blue and White.
Construction began again during the 2007-2008 school year on the high school to build an additional two wings because of overcrowding and to build a new auxiliary gym/dance studio. A few renovations in the existing building were also done to replace some old piping, wiring, and the gym and stage floor. The construction was completed between December 2008 and January 2009.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 257th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 295th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 270th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 259th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 248th out of 316 public high schools in New Jersey in the magazine's 2006 rankings. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 194th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 29 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the two components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), mathematics (79.6%) and language arts literacy (91.4%).
Williamstown High School is one of the member schools in the Tri-County Conference, which operates under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 1,346 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as South Jersey, Group IV for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 1,084 to 1,845 students in that grade range.
- Fall Sports: Cheerleading, Cross Country, Football, Field Hockey, Boys' Soccer, Girls' Soccer, Girls' Tennis, Girls' Volleyball
- Winter Sports: Wrestling, Track, Swimming and Diving, Ice Hockey, Basketball, Dance Team (Note: Ice Hockey is a separate club sport. Williamstown is a member of the South Jersey High School Ice Hockey League, and competes in Varsity Tier I)
- Spring Sports: Girls' and Boys' Spring Track, Boys' Baseball, Girls' Softball, Golf, Boys' Tennis and Boys' Volleyball
In the fall of 2006, the Williamstown girls volleyball team won the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association Group III State Championship, two games to none (25-20 and 26-24) over West Morris Central High School. Their victory was the team's first State title and made them only the third South Jersey team to win a girl's state title in the sport, joining Eastern High School and Cherry Hill High School East. The girls team finished the 2010 season with a record of 30-2, capped off by winning the Group IV title in two games, defeating Livingston High School to earn the program's second state title.
The girls' spring track Team won Tri-County Championships in 2009.
In spring 2008 the Williamstown softball team won the Group IV state championship. The team defeated Toms River High School East to win the South Jersey, Group IV state sectional championship, with a 2-0 win in the tournament final. The team won the Group IV title with a 1-0 win over Old Bridge High School in the semifinals and a 2-0 win against Ridgewood High School in the finals. Williamstown was ranked as the number one softball team in New Jersey and number 25th ranked team in the nation in USA Today's final 2008 rankings.
In spring 2009 the Williamstown softball team again defeated Toms River High School East to win the South Jersey, Group IV state sectional championship, with a three-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the eleventh inning. The team repeated as Group IV State Champions when they defeated Union High School 3-0, allowing only one hit.
The school's marching band was Tournament of Bands Chapter One Champions in 2003 and 2007 (Group 1) and 2005-06 (Group 2). The band was the 2003 Atlantic Coast Champion in Group 1 and the 2000 Atlantic Coast Invitational Champion in Group 2. The Band was 2010 USSBA National Champions, winning best percussion, effect, visual, and music.
Senior members of the school's administration include:
- Paul Deal - Principal
- David Babich - Vice Principal
- Scott Boring - Vice Principal
- Caroline Yoder - Vice Principal
- School Data for Williamstown High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- 2011-2012 Profile, Williamstown High School. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- Williamstown High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed August 19, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2006: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for South Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- Zagone, John. "Williamstown Girls Volleyball State Champs", copy of article from The Star-Ledger, November 12, 2006, accessed April 19, 2007. "Reigning New Jersey Player of the Year Nina Camaioni's strong jump serve tipped off the net and landed in front of the West Morris Central defense for an ace to clinch a 26-24 victory for the Braves, finishing off a two-game sweep in the NJSIAA Group III State Championship match at William Paterson University."
- 2006 Olympic Conference Girls' Volleyball, accessed April 19, 2007. "Congratulations to South Jersey's own, Group III State Champion Williamstown Lady Braves!"
- Schnatz, Pete. "S. Jersey Girls: Williamstown sweeps Livingston for crown", The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 14, 2010. Accessed August 19, 2011. "Williamstown captured its second girls' volleyball state championship in the program's 14-year history when the Braves swept Livingston, 2-0, Saturday at William Paterson University.... Williamstown (31-2), which opened strong with a 25-13 victory, held off Livingston, 25-21, in the second game to win the Group 4 title."
- 2008 Softball Tournament - South, Group IV, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 28, 2008.
- 2008 Softball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 28, 2008.
- "Broad Run tops final prep softball poll", USA Today, July 28, 2008. Accessed June 22, 2009.
- Chando, Matt. "Trotter's walk-off HR in 11th gives Williamstown softball Group IV title", NJ.com, May 29, 2009. Accessed August 19, 2011. "With two outs and the count 1-1, Trotter sent a fastball over the left-field wall for a three-run, walk-off homer to lift the top-seeded Williamstown High School softball team (21-2) to a thrilling 6-5 win against No. 2 Toms River East in an epic, three-hour South Jersey Group IV final."
- Chappelear, Scott. "Williamstown softball repeats as state champs in Group IV", NJ.com, June 7, 2009. Accessed August 19, 2011. "Trotter closed out the seventh with ease, retiring the final 14 batters she faced for a one-hitter and the Braves’ second straight state title with a 3-0 victory at Toms River East."
- Tournament of Bands - Chapter One History, Tournament of Bands. Accessed July 5, 2007.
- Goebel, Caryn. "Congratulations to the Group I & II National Champions", USSBA, November 5, 2010. Accessed August 19, 2011.
- Administrators, Williamstown High School. Accessed November 25, 2014.
- Williamstown High School snapshot
- Monroe Township Public Schools
- Monroe Township Public Schools's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Monroe Township Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics