Andrews in August 2007.
|Date of birth:||November 2, 1983|
|Place of birth:||Longview, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||190 lb (86 kg)|
|NFL draft:||2006 / Round: 7 / Pick: 229|
Career NFL statistics
|Stats at NFL.com|
Willie Thedric Andrews (born November 2, 1983) is a former American football safety. He was drafted by the New England Patriots in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Baylor.
New England Patriots
After being drafted in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft by the Patriots, Andrews played primarily on special teams; in 2007 Andrews returned a kickoff 74 yards for a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 7 game against the Miami Dolphins.
After multiple arrests in the 2008 offseason (see "Legal troubles" below), the Patriots released Andrews.
In July 2002, Andrews was sentenced to 30 days in jail after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge. The gun was found in his car by Texas State Troopers during a traffic stop. At the time, Andrews was serving a two year probation for a March 2002 conviction for misdemeanor criminal mischief.
On February 5, 2008, two days after Super Bowl XLII, Andrews was arrested in Lowell, Massachusetts and charged with possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and operating an unregistered motor vehicle. Andrews was seen driving a black Ford Crown Victoria when police received a call that there was possible drug activity in the area. Police found $6,800 in cash and a 1/2 pound of marijuana in Andrews' unregistered car.
On June 30, 2008, Andrews was arrested at his home in Mansfield, Massachusetts and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm when police responded to a call that Andrews allegedly pointed a handgun at his girlfriend's head during an argument. The handgun Andrews allegedly used was found near a dumpster at Andrews apartment complex. Andrews was released by the Patriots the next day, July 1, 2008. The charges against Andrews were dropped in March 2009 after the victim refused to testify against him in court.
- "Florida Tuskers Announce Signing Of 11 Additional Players Including Koren Robinson & Tatum Bell". OurSports Central. September 3, 2009. Retrieved August 30, 2011.
- "Big 12 Roundup: Baylor recruit gets 30 days in jail on gun charge". Associated Press. Sports Illustrated. 2002-07-25. Retrieved 2008-02-06.
- "Patriots defensive back charged with marijuana possession in Lowell". The Boston Globe. 2008-02-05. Retrieved 2008-02-05.
- "Patriots DB accused of pointing gun at girlfriend". WBZ-TV. 2008-06-30. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Underwood, Mike (2008-06-30). "Pats' defensive back arrested in gun assault". Boston Herald. Retrieved 2008-06-30.
- Gasper, Christopher L. (2008-07-02). "Patriots release Andrews". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Charges dropped against ex Patriot". WPRI-TV. 2009-03-06. Retrieved 2009-05-18.