Willie Wilson (minister)
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (December 2013)|
Reverend Willie F. Wilson was born in Newport News, Virginia. He graduated from Ohio University and received a Masters degree from Howard University in Washington, D.C. In 2002 he ran a write-in campaign for mayor of Washington against the incumbent Anthony Williams. He is most well known for stating during a 2005 church service that there is "something wrong" with lesbianism.
Reverend Willie F. Wilson is the pastor at Union Temple Baptist Church in Washington, D.C. He is also the author of three books: The African American Wedding Manual, Releasing the Power Within, The Genius of Jesus Revealed, and How African Religion Changed the American Church. He was also involved in the Million Man March and its follow up the Millions More Movement. Reverend Wilson is featured in the award winning documentary "The Preacher and the Poet"Pastor Wilson received his Bachelor Degree in Journalism from Ohio University. Pastor Wilson also attended Howard University School of Divinity where he received a Masters Degree and did his Doctoral Studies. He was the recipient of several awards including the Rockefeller Protestant Fellowship Award for academic achievement and the Vernon Johns Preaching Award for the most “Outstanding Orator and Preacher” of his graduating class. His repertoire includes training in self-evaluation techniques and psychiatric counseling under the esteemed instruction of Dr. B. Haldane and Dr. Ernest Bruder. In the annals of time he will be duly noted for his many awards and accolades that wallpaper his office from door to door including ceremonial documentation of his installation as a sub-chief by the Asankare-Bretuo in Asankrangwa, West Ghana. He was inducted in this high ceremony as NANA KWADWO BOAFO I, and with this honor he has the uttermost credence and positive authority to perform any and all ceremonies relating to African people at home and abroad. Chief Nana Kwadwo Boafo I has performed scores of African-American weddings and was referenced in the book Jumping theBroom.
Awards and accolades
- Installation as a sub chief by the Asankare-Breuto in Asankrangwa, West Ghana
- USA Today declared him one of the 10 most valuable people in 1986
- President's Service Award in 1997
- "Independent Lens Online Shorts Festival: The Preacher and the Poet" (video). Independent Television Service. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- Preamble to "Let Us Make Man" - introduction of Hon. Minister Louis Farrakhan at Union Temple Baptist Church's "Men's Day", September 19, 1993. Courtesy of AFRICAN CONNECTIONS.
- "How to Get Hooked Up...": a sermon by Rev. William Revely, Jr., delivered at Union Temple Baptist Church, September 1993. Introduction by Rev. Willie F. Wilson. Courtesy of AFRICAN CONNECTIONS.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Willie Wilson (minister)|