Southbound US 27-41 and SR 121 about to split in Williston, Florida
|Motto: "Gateway to the Nature Coast"|
Location in Levy County and the state of Florida
|• Total||6.8 sq mi (17.5 km2)|
|• Land||6.8 sq mi (17.5 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||75 ft (23 m)|
|• Density||410/sq mi (160/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0293351|
Williston is located at .(29.386811, -82.446706)
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,297 people, 836 households, and 580 families residing in the city. The population density was 379.0 inhabitants per square mile (146.3/km²). There were 915 housing units at an average density of 151.0 per square mile (58.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 73.44% White, 22.81% African American, 0.78% Native American, 0.74% Asian, 0.44% Pacific Islander, 1.09% from other races, and 1.09% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.57% of the population.
There were 836 households out of which 31.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.9% were married couples living together, 22.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.6% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.56 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.2% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 19.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 86.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 76.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,795, and the median income for a family was $26,918. Males had a median income of $22,331 versus $20,634 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,628. About 22.4% of families and 22.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.1% of those under age 18 and 22.5% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
The area includes Two Tails Ranch, an exotic animal refuge specializing in elephants. Kirby Family Farm, an educational farm open to the public, is also in the Williston area and features the Great America Railway, its own 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge railroad for its guests to enjoy.
Williston hosts the Central Florida Harvest and Peanut Festival every October.
Devil's Den and Blue Grotto
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Williston has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "City of Williston, Florida". City of Williston, Florida. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Williston city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 4, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Surviving Steam Locomotives in Florida
- Blue Grotto dive resort owner rejects $2 million purchase offer
- On the auction block - Diving paradise could become new source for bottled water, Ocala Star Banner
- Blue Grotto, Underwater Florida
- Blue Grotto, Florida Caves
- Devil's Den: Underground and Open Air, Dive Training Magazine
- Dive right in -- the view's fine at Devil's Den, Orlando Sentinel
- A renaissance for Williston?, Gainesville Sun
- Climate Summary for Williston, Florida
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Williston, Florida.|
- City of Williston official website
- Williston Chamber of Commerce
- Williston, Florida, at City-Data.com