Flores with the New York Mets
New York Mets – No. 4
|Third baseman / Shortstop / Second basemen|
August 6, 1991 |
|August 6, 2013 for the New York Mets|
(through 2014 seaosn)
|Runs batted in||42|
Flores signed as an international free agent out of Venezuela with the Mets in 2007. He was rated in the Top 100 prospects by Baseball America prior to the 2009 (#47), 2010 (#88) and 2011 (#59) seasons.
Flores started at second base for the World team at the 2009 All-Star Futures Game. He also has being named to the Baseball America Rookie All-Star Team (2008), the APP Post-Season All-Star Team (2008), the MiLB.com Organization All-Star Team (2010) and the South Atlantic League All-Star Team (2010).
In 2011, the Mets sent Flores back to the St. Lucie Mets of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League (FSL) to convert him from a shortstop into a third baseman. In 2012 Flores was selected at third base for the FSL All-Star Game. He went 3-for-4 with a run scored and three runs batted in, earning Most Valuable Player honors. He also appeared in the All-Star Futures Game for the second time in his career. The Mets promoted Flores to the Binghamton Mets of the Class AA Eastern League.
Flores began the 2013 season with the Las Vegas 51s of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. He gained a promotion to the Mets on August 6, on the day of his 22nd birthday. On August 7, he hit a bases-loaded double against the Colorado Rockies, for his first three major league RBIs. On August 11, he hit his first career home run against the Diamondbacks.
Flores started the 2014 season again in Class AAA, but was called up to make a start at second base on April 2.
After making that start, he was sent back down to the Las Vegas 51s to play shortstop. He was then called up about a month later at which point he made 14 starts at shortstop and one at second base. On June 2, Flores drove in a career high of 6 RBIs in a single game, during which he also hit his first career grand slam.
- Shpigel, Ben (March 15, 2009). "Mets Prospect Wilmer Flores Is on Fast Track to the Majors". The New York Times. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "– Jesus Flores profile". Milb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Girandola, Chris (2012-06-17). "– Flores leads South to All-Star win". Milb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Wilmer Flores itching for promotion to the majors". Newsday.com. 2012-07-08. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Rubin, Adam. "Wilmer to join Mets on Tuesday - Mets Blog - ESPN New York". Espn.go.com. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "Parnell on DL; Mets call up Farnsworth, Flores". Associated Press. ESPN.com. April 2, 2014. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)