|Type||Private, non-profit, non-sectarian|
|President||Dr. Jack Varsalona|
|Location||New Castle, Delaware ,
|Colors||Green and White|
|Athletics||Division II, CACC|
|Affiliations||Middle States Commission on Higher Education|
Wilmington University is a private, non-profit research institution consisting of seven colleges and offers undergraduate and graduate programs in many academic disciplines and professions. The main location is near historic New Castle, Delaware and the city of Wilmington conveniently located in the northeast/mid-Atlantic corridor of the United States. Students are provided access to the major cities of Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington D.C.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Accreditation
- 4 Colleges
- 5 Athletics
- 6 External links
- 7 References
Wilmington University was founded just outside of historic New Castle, Delaware, in 1968 by Dr. Donald E. Ross. Dr. Ross was president until 1977. Wilmington College, now Wilmington University began with a charter class of 194 students in 1968 and grew from 1979 until 2006 to 10,000 students under president Dr. Audrey K. Doberstein. The university now offers graduate and doctoral degrees and has more than 17,000 students annually enrolled online and on campus with sites in three states.
Founded as Wilmington College, on September 10, 2007 the institution officially became Wilmington University after the approval of the Board of Trustees and the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The name was changed to better reflect the emphasis on bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs that distinguish Wilmington University from other colleges and more effectively communicates the full commitment and mission of the University.
- Dover Air Force Base
- Delaware Technical & Community College, Georgetown
- New Castle (including the Wilson Graduate Center)
- Rehoboth Beach
- Burlington County College, Mt. Laurel & Pemberton Campuses
- Cumberland County College
- Gloucester County College
- Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey
- Salem Community College
- Wilmington University first obtained regional accreditation in 1975 through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). Wilmington University was reaccredited in 2005 and has expanded to award degrees at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. MSCHE is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- The U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs identified Wilmington University as an institution that is accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a reliable authority to the quality of postsecondary education within the meaning of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
- Wilmington University is authorized by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to issue a Form I-20 for an F-1 Visa and to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
College of Education
- The College of Education achieved National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) in 2007  and was reaccredited in 2013. NCATE is the profession’s mechanism to help establish high quality teacher preparation and currently accredits 670 colleges of education.
Undergraduate Teacher Preparation Programs
- Early Care & Education (Birth to 2nd Grade)
- Elementary Education (Kindergarten to 6th Grade)
- Middle Level Education (Grades 6-8)
- Major Specializations: Math, Science, English, or Social Science
- Career & Technical Education
Graduate Teacher Preparation Programs
- Elementary Education (Kindergarten to 6th Grade)
- Special Education
- Secondary Education (Grades 7-12)
- Career & Technical Education
College of Business
- The College of Business achieved International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE) accreditation in 2005. "In promoting and fostering excellence in business education, the IACBE takes a mission-based and outcomes-driven approach to accreditation, in which the assurance of academic quality is based on the results of the assessment of educational outcomes rather than prescriptive input standards.
College of Social & Behavioral Sciences
- The Legal Studies program earned American Bar Association (ABA) approval. This approval applies to both the bachelor's and post-bachelor's certificate programs offered through the school’s College of Social and Behavioral Sciences in New Castle and Dover.
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Master of Science program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Initially CACREP accredited under the program title Community Counseling, in March 1998 and has maintained accreditation since. It became a Clinical Mental Health Counseling program in July 2013 receiving reaccrediation status for 2 years through October 2015.
College of Health Professions
- The Baccalaureate and Graduate Nursing programs at Wilmington University are fully accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). CCNE is a widely recognized accrediting body that focuses on Baccalaureate and Graduate degree programs in Nursing. As of 2008, CCNE has accredited over 76% of all baccalaureate nursing programs and 86% of master’s degree nursing programs across the country.
- Graduate Nursing Programs:
- Doctor of Nursing is offered in the following concentration:
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Nurse Practitioner is offered in the following concentrations:
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP)
- Nurse Leadership is offered in the following concentrations:
- Legal Nurse Consultant
College of Arts & Sciences
College of Technology
College of Online & Experiential Learning
Wilmington University offers more than 70 online programs, concentrations, and certificates. In 2014, they were recognized as offering the most affordable online master's degree in Human Services in the United States.
Wilmington University is currently a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II. The Wildcats are competing as a member of the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) for all sports. As an NCAA Division II program, students who participate may be eligible for athletic scholarships.
- Cross country
Universal Cheerleading Association (UCA) National Champions 2012, 2013, 2014
- Wilmington University: About Us Accessed October 28, 2013
- America's Top Colleges, Wilmington University Accessed August 28, 2013
- Carnegie Foundation, Wilmington University Accessed August 28, 2013
- Delaware Today: The Old College Try Again Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University Press Release: Wilmington University President Emeritus To Be Honored in Hall of Fame of Delaware Women March 11, 2011
- Wilmington University Press Release: President and Former President Featured in Delaware Today’s 50th Anniversary Issue March 26, 2012
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education: Institution Directory Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: Accreditation Accessed August 28, 2013
- U.S. Department of Education Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: International Students Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: College of Education Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University Press Release: Education Division at Wilmington University Receives NCATE Accreditation November 7, 2007
- NCATE Accredited DE Institutions Accessed August 28, 2013
- NCATE About Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: College of Business Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: College of Business Accreditation Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University assistant professor wins Fulbright scholarship Accessed October 11, 2013
- Wilmington University: College of Social and Behavioral Sciences - Legal Studies Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: Legal Studies ABA Approved Accessed August 28, 2013
- Wilmington University: College of Social and Behavioral Sciences - Clinical Mental Health Counseling Accessed August 28, 2013
- CACREP Delaware Programs Accessed August 28, 2013
- College of Health Professions Accessed August 28, 2013
- College of Health Professions Accreditation Accessed August 28, 2013
- College of Health Professions Accessed January 10, 2014
- "Wilmington University Online Degree Programs". Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- "2014 Most Affordable Colleges for Online Human Services Degrees". Retrieved 1 February 2014.
- On Second Review, Wilmington University Cheerleading Team and Coed Partner Stunt Duo Crowned 2014 UCA National Champions Accessed January 31, 2014