Wind power in Sweden
Sweden consumes about 150 terawatt hours of electricity per year, of which about 6 TW·h is generated from domestic wind power resources. Several times as much is imported from Denmark, which generates a considerable amount of surplus wind power. Two large projects are under development, which could dramatically increase wind power in Sweden.
|Wind power in Sweden|
Swedish package and paper products company Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget and Norwegian power company Statkraft will invest 16 billion kronor (€1.73 billion; US$2.4 billion) in a project which will consist of around 400 wind turbines in seven wind farms in Jämtland and Västernorrland counties. Statkraft will provide financing and SCA the land.
- "... the wind power venture would involve production of 2,800 gigawatt hours, or GWh, of wind power electricity a year, accounting for between two to three percent of Sweden's electricity production."
The Markbygden Wind Farm will be a series of wind farms in Norrbotten County. The project will be built by 2020, and will have a capacity of up to 4 GW. If built out, the 55 billion kronor (€5.1 billion, US$6.9 billion) project will be the largest wind farm in Europe. The wind farm will cover some 450 square kilometres, comprising about 1,100 wind turbines, and is expected to produce up to 12 TW·h of electricity per year (i.e. an average power of up to 1.4 GW).
Anti wind power movement
The Association for Swedish Landscape Protection is in opposition to wind power. Their chairman says:
It is beginning to get through, I think, that with the existing nuclear and hydro power available in Sweden, the role for intermittent wind power is marginal and primarily as an exercise in the following of ”fashion”. It has little to contribute to either generation capacity or transmission security. And it is expensive.—Elisabeth von Brömsen, Public radio SR, March 2011
The Association has on several occasions used incorrect and non-scientific arguments in their propaganda and has been heavily criticized by scientists.
- "Electricity supply, district heating and supply of natural and gasworks gas 2010". Statistics Sweden (SCB) & Swedish Energy Agency page 5. Statistics for year 2010. March 23, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-07.
- Swedish Energy Agency
- Energy in Sweden 2010, table: Table 22: Electricity production in Sweden 1970–2009, TWh.
- energimyndigheten data
- Sweden's SCA, Norway's Statkraft in $2.4 billion wind power venture
- "Svevind and Enercon Team up for 4GW Wind Plan". Clean Edge (from New Energy Finance). June 26, 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Europe's biggest wind farm planned in Sweden". Agence France-Presse (AFP). April 6, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
- "Sweden looks to build world's largest wind farm". InTech (International Society of Automation (ISA)). April 14, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wind power in Sweden.|