Windham–Campbell Literature Prizes
The Donald Windham Sandy M. Campbell Literature Prizes are a series of literary awards established by Yale University. Administered by the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library, they recognize English language authors in fiction, non-fiction and drama. The mission of the prizes is to call attention to literary achievement and provide writers the opportunity to focus on their work independent of financial concerns. Up to nine prizes are awarded annually. Winners receive a citation and an unrestricted award of $150,000. These are among the richest awards in the world, if not the richest in certain categories. The prize endowments are from the estates of writer Donald Windham. Sandy Campbell (male) was his companion of 45 years.
- Jonny Steinberg – "Using a novelistic style that gives everyday people heroic complexity and scale, Jonny Steinberg allows us to encounter lives that enlarge our empathy and sharpen our understanding of the human condition."
- Jeremy Scahill – "Jeremy Scahill’s investigative reporting is in the best tradition of speaking truth to power, waging a political campaign by journalistic means, indefatigable in its detail and international in outlook."
- Adina Hoffman – "In a land where even the most cautious nonfiction can draw howls of protest, Adina Hoffman combines fastidious listening, even-handed research, and prose so engaged that it makes the long-vanished visible again."
- Naomi Wallace – "Naomi Wallace mines historical situations in plays that are muscular, devastating, and unwavering."
- Tarell Alvin McCraney – "Tarell Alvin McCraney’s working class characters inhabit an extraordinary mythic universe, speaking a poetic language through which we grasp the spiritual stature of embattled people."
- Stephen Adly Guirgis – "Stephen Adly Guirgis writes dramatic dialogue with passion and humor, creating characters who live on the edge, and whose linguistic bravado reinvigorates the American vernacular."
- Zoë Wicomb – "Zoë Wicomb’s subtle, lively language and beautifully crafted narratives explore the complex entanglements of home, and the continuing challenges of being in the world."
- James Salter – "Sentence by sentence, James Salter’s elegantly natural prose has a precision and clarity which make ordinary words swing wide open."
- Tom McCarthy – "Tom McCarthy constructs strange worlds where we find reflective echoes of our own and meditations on the meaning and making of art."
- Charles McGrath. "A Writer’s Estate to Yield $150,000 Literary Prizes", New York Times, June 17, 2011.
- Carolyn Kellogg (June 20, 2011). "Yale to launch $150,000 writing award". LA Times. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- David Brensilver (June 22, 2011). "Yale Launches Literary Prize Program". New Haven Independent. Retrieved October 11, 2012.
- "2013 Prize Winners". Windham–Campbell Literature Prize. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Dorie Baker (March 4, 2013). "Yale awards $1.35 million to nine writers". YaleNews. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- The Windham Campbell Prizes, official website.