Hosea Kutako International Airport
|Hosea Kutako International Airport|
|IATA: WDH – ICAO: FYWH|
|Operator||Namibian Civil Government|
|Hub for||Air Namibia|
|Elevation AMSL||5,640 ft / 1,719 m|
Hosea Kutako International Airport (IATA: WDH, ICAO: FYWH) is the main international airport serving the Namibian capital city of Windhoek. Located 45 km (28 mi) east of the city, it is Namibia's primary airport with international connections and named after Namibian hero Hosea Kutako.
The airport handled 672,582 passengers in 2007. In 2009, it handled around 680,000 passengers, just over 4% down on the previous year when over 710,000 passengers were processed.
The airport underwent a modernising makeover in 2009. It has one terminal with one departure and one arrival hall. The main runway 08/26 is 4,532 m (14,869 ft) long.
Airlines and destinations
Although Hosea Kutako International Airport is the main international airport of Namibia, the only direct international flights are to Angola, Botswana, Germany, Ghana, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Few, if any, domestic flights pass through Hosea Kutako Airport as those are predominantly handled at the smaller Windhoek Eros Airport.
Most international passengers to/from Namibia travel via OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg. There are around 18 direct scheduled flights daily between Hosea Kutako International Airport and OR Tambo International Airport.
|Airlink||Cape Town (begins 6 October 2014)|
|Air Namibia||Cape Town, Frankfurt, Harare, Johannesburg-OR Tambo, Luanda, Lüderitz, Lusaka, Maun, Oranjemund, Victoria Falls, Walvis Bay|
operated by Comair
|Condor||Seasonal: Frankfurt (begins 10 November 2014)|
|South African Airways||Johannesburg-OR Tambo|
|South African Express||Johannesburg-OR Tambo|
|TAAG Angola Airlines||Luanda, Lubango Catumbela|
- "Namibia may see traffic boost from remake of cult TV series 'The Prisoner'; non-stop flights to Germany, but no longer UK". anna.aero Airline News & Analysis. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "Real Time Flight Status at windhoek (WDH Airport)". FlightStats.com. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Air Namibia Time Table". Air Namibia. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- "Emirates Introduces Airbus to Southern Africa". All Africa News. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Ethiopian Airlines and SAA expands codeshare partnership for Windheok". An Africa Business Community – Africa Travel – Tourism. Retrieved 9 September 2010.
- Airlink begin Cape Town-Windhoek service from October 2014
- 2014 Route Map, http://www.taag.com/en/route-map.aspx
Media related to Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport at Wikimedia Commons