Sir Winfried Franz Wilhelm "Win" Bischoff (born 10 May 1941) is an Anglo-German banker, who is currently chairman of Lloyds Banking Group plc. He was formerly chairman of Citigroup and previously served as interim CEO of the same company in 2007. He was succeeded as CEO by Vikram Pandit on 11 December 2007. Bischoff stepped down as chairman on 23 February 2009 and was replaced by Richard Parsons. He has dual British and German citizenship. Bischoff was knighted in 2000.
Early life and education
He was born in Aachen, Germany and had an early education in Cologne and Düsseldorf. In 1955 he moved to Johannesburg where he received a Bachelor of Commerce degree at the University of the Witwatersrand in 1961.
He joined J. Henry Schroder & Co. Limited in London in 1966 in its Company Finance Division. In 1971 he became Managing Director of Schroders Asia Limited in Hong Kong. He became Group Chief Executive of Schroders plc in December 1984. Schroders was worth £30 million when he took over. Bischoff became Chairman of Schroders plc in May 1995. In 2000 the investment banking division of the company was acquired for £1.3 billion by Citi through its Smith Barney subsidiary. The new investment company was temporarily called Schroder Salomon Smith Barney.
He joined Citi as Chairman of Citigroup Europe and was a member of The Operating Committee of Citigroup Inc., a position he held until appointed Chairman in November 2007. He is a non-executive director at McGraw-Hill, Eli Lilly and Company, Land Securities, Akbank and Prudential. He is the Chairman of the British educational charity Career Academies UK.
On 27 July 2009, he was appointed as Chairman designate of Lloyds Banking Group and took up the position of Chairman on 15 September 2009.
- "Sir Win Bischoff". Citigroup. Retrieved 2007-12-11..
- Robert E. Rubin to Serve as Chairman of the Board of Citi; Sir Win Bischoff to Serve as Acting Chief Executive Officer; Charles Prince Elects to Retire from Citi
- Seib, Christine (22 January 2009). "Sir Win Bischoff to leave early from chairmanship of Citigroup". The Times (London). Retrieved 2009-01-22.
- Blog Archive » Sir Win Bischoff - who he? from FT Alphaville
- forum.europe.com SUSTAINABLE FINANCIAL MARKETS FOR EUROPEAN CITIZENS IN A GLOBAL ERA - Retrieved November 26, 2007
- Citigroup boss banks on his 'foot soldiers' - The Times - September 17, 2006
- 30% Club members
Sir Victor Blank
|Chairman of Lloyds Banking Group
2009 – present
|CEO of Citigroup
November – December 2007
|Chairman of Citigroup