|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
WingStreet is a restaurant chain specializing in chicken. It is owned by Yum! Brands, which also owns its sister franchise Pizza Hut. As of September 2008, there were close to 1,600 locations in the U.S., Canada, and Australia. They are almost always co-located with Pizza Hut.
Pizza Hut franchises began offering buffalo chicken wings in 1995. In 2003, Yum! launched WingStreet as a hybrid combo unit with an existing Pizza Hut franchise. In 2007, Pizza Hut/WingStreet opened their 1,000th restaurant. In 2007 and 2008, a thousand WingStreet stores a year were opened. On October 19, 2009, Company president Scott Bergren publicize WingStreet's national launch. The chain predicted aggressive growth, adding more than 4,000 locations by 2010.
WingStreet restaurants sell breaded and traditional Buffalo wings for take-out and delivery. The chain has eight sauces in two heat ratings: Spicy and the tamer Saucy variety. Their sauces are: Lemon Pepper, Spicy BBQ, Honey BBQ, Garlic Parmesan, Spicy Asian, and Mild. They also have sauce-free wings called Naked wings. WingStreet now has three different categories of Buffalo sauce: Buffalo Mild, Buffalo Medium, and Buffalo Burning Hot.
WingStreet offers three styles of wings: Bone-In, Bone-Out, and Traditional. Both the Bone-In and Bone-Out wings are breaded while the Traditional are not. Neither the Bone-In wings nor the Traditional wings have the bones removed.
In addition to wings the WingStreet brand usually includes extras such as fried cheese sticks, chicken tenders, apple pies, and WingStreet Potato Wedges. Moreover, certain locations may offer curly fries, jalapeno poppers and onion rings.
Awards and recognition
Pizza Hut/WingStreet wings have won several awards:
- Best Medium Traditional Wing Sauce (National Buffalo Wing Festival 2006, 2008, 2009)
- Best Hot Traditional Wing Sauce (National Buffalo Wing Festival 2007)
- Best Medium Sauce AND Best BBQ Sauce (Atlanta Wing Festival 2007)
- Best Take-Out Wings with Medium Sauce (Denver Post 2007)
- "WingStreet to double number of locations", PizzaMarketplace.com, 18 September 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- Slawsky, Richard. "Chicken wings take flight", PizzaMarketplace.com, 6 July 2007. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- Cyrek, Christopher (October 20, 2009). "Pizza Hut going after wings market". Dallas Business Journal (Dallas, Texas: American City Business Journals, Inc.). Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- Press Release, Reuters, 8 May 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2009.
- Pizza Hut/WingStreet