Wingate, North Carolina
|Wingate, North Carolina|
Wingate Town Hall
Location of Wingate, North Carolina
|• Total||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|• Land||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||587 ft (179 m)|
|• Density||2,053.5/sq mi (793.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0997487|
Wingate is located at (34.985021, -80.447254).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,491 people, 945 households, and 650 families residing in the town. The population density was 2053.5 people per square mile (793.4/km²). There were 1,046 housing units at an average density of 615.2 per square mile (237.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 60.6% European American, 28.8% African American, 0.4% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 7.9% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.4% of the population.
There were 945 households out of which 30.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.2% were married couples living together, 19.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.2% were non-families. 25.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the town the population was spread out with 20.0% under the age of 18, 35.0% from 18 to 24, 18.8% from 25 to 44, 17.5% from 45 to 64, and 8.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22.5 years.
The median income for a household in the town was $41,774, and the median income for a family was $51,148. The per capita income for the town was $16,419. About 12.5% of the population were below the poverty line.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register of Historic Places Listings". Weekly List of Actions Taken on Properties: 12/01/14 through 12/05/14. National Park Service. 2014-12-12.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Official website of Wingate, NC
- Official website of the Wingate Fire Department
- Official website of Wingate University
- Official website of the Jesse Helms Center