Wings Over Miami
|Wings Over Miami|
|Location||Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, Miami-Dade County, Florida, USA|
Wings Over Miami is a flying aviation museum of historically significant aircraft, located at the Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States, 13 miles (21 km) southwest of the central business district of Miami.
The museum was conceived as a replacement for the Weeks Air Museum which had been located at the airport, but which was moved to Polk County, Florida after having its facility and almost all of its aircraft damaged by Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
The departure of the Weeks collection left an aviation historical deficit in the Miami area. In 2001 four military and classic plane enthusiasts decided to create a new museum to use the facility. The new museum's board was made up of its founders: Walter Orth, Larry Ploucha, Vincent Tirado and Tom Righetti. They agreed from the start that Wings Over Miami would be a flying museum, meaning that aircraft from the collection would be airworthy and would be flown regularly.
Special events that benefit the museum include an annual car show that features antique & classic vehicles and Corvettes presented by the South Florida Region of the Antique Automobile Club of America and the Sunshine Corvette Club.
The museum collection includes:
- Aero L29-R Delfín
- Aero L-39C Albatros
- Brown B-1 Racer
- Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina
- Douglas A-26C Invader
- Douglas C-117D
- Grumman F-14D Tomcat
- Ikarus Aero 3-A
- Ryan PT-22
- Nanchang CJ-6A
- North American AT-6D Texan
- North American T-28 Trojan
- North American SNJ-6
- Schweizer SGS 1-26
- Yakovlev Yak-52
- Wings Over Miami (2009). "Welcome!". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau (2008). "Wings Over Miami Museum". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Deatrick, Mary (May 2009). "Fantasy of Flight Flies Home Legendary “TBM” World War II Torpedo Bomber". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Smart Destinations (2009). "Wings Over Miami Air Museum". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Wings Over Miami (2009). "History". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Wings Over Miami (2009). "Aircraft on Display". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Channel 4 News Miami (June 2008). "Wings over Miami - Dudley Whitman". Retrieved 2009-07-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wings Over Miami.|