|Look up winkle in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Winkle is a common name applied to numerous different species of small, round, usually edible, snails. These are often species of sea snails, also some small round freshwater snails, and even some land snails that have an operculum.
Winkle may refer to:
- Common periwinkle, an edible marine intertidal species found in Europe and North America
- Any species within the family Littorinidae, the winkles, small intertidal sea snails
- Some edible species of nerites which are also small aquatic snails, some marine, some freshwater
- Sometimes applied to certain land species that have an operculum, such as Pomatias elegans, the land winkle
As a verb:
- to winkle out -- to extract something with some difficulty, based on removing the meat from a periwinkle using a pin
- Winklepicker, a style of pointed shoe
- Winkle, Illinois, unincorporated community, United States
- Winkle, Ohio, unincorporated community, United States
- Winkel (disambiguation), the name of numerous villages, etc
- "Rip Van Winkle", a short story by American author Washington Irving
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Winkle.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.