Winner (Jamie Foxx song)
|Single by Jamie Foxx featuring Justin Timberlake and T.I.|
|from the album Best Night of My Life|
|Released||April 7, 2010 (Digital Download)
April 20, 2010 (U.S. - Urban radio)
May 4, 2010 (U.S. - Rhythm/Crossover radio)
|Genre||R&B, Hip hop|
|Writer(s)||Justin Timberlake, James Fauntleroy, Robert Knox, Clifford Harris|
|Jamie Foxx singles chronology|
"Winner" is the first single from American singer/actor Jamie Foxx's fourth studio album Best Night of My Life released for digital download on April 6, 2010 through J Records. It features American singer Justin Timberlake and rapper T.I.. Foxx told George Lopez about Timberlake's contribution. "I got him on the track—'cause he wasn't gonna get on the track—I just literally said, 'Man, my people suffered for 500 years. You owe me this.'" It was also the official theme song of the 2010 NBA Playoffs for the NBA on TNT and NBA TV.
Allmusic considered this song a standout cut. LA Times was positive: "Current radio staple “Winner” sets the template — big processed drums, creepy synths and lots of open space for Foxx’s capable runs." New York Times was positive, too: "On “Winner” there’s even some of the pseudo rapping that Justin Timberlake has been squeezing out of his system of late." PopMatters was negative: "“Winner” is another song that exists in spite of Jamie, and speaks only to the depth of his pockets. (...) The chorus of “Winner” splayed across ESPN and TNT promos for basketball games." Slant Magazine panned: "It's this kind of careless maximalism that produces junk like "Winner," a whirring waste of a Justin Timberlake appearance, a song whose basketball theme and cheesy dribble beat sound like something ripped from High School Musical." USA Today highlighted the song, positively.
The song was released on urban radio stations on April 6, 2010, and was released on May 4, 2010 to mainstream radio stations. The song debuted at #28 on the Billboard Hot 100 due to strong airplay and downloads, becoming T.I.'s, third, Timberlake's and Foxx's first "hot shot debut" on the chart.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||23|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||37|
|US Billboard Hot 100||28|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||30|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||65|
- "Winner" single by Jamie Foxx (feat. Justin T. and T.I.) iTunes.com
- "Urban/UAC Future Releases | R&B, Hip Hop, Release Schedule and Street Dates |". Allaccess.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Winner". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2010-04-19.
- "Jamie Foxx Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Jamie Foxx. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jamie Foxx feat. Justin Timberlake & T.I. – Winner". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- "Jamie Foxx Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jamie Foxx. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- "Jamie Foxx Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Jamie Foxx. Retrieved 2013-04-13.
- "Jamie Foxx Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Jamie Foxx. Retrieved 2013-04-13.