Winslow (Amtrak station)
La Posada Hotel
|Address||501 East Second Street
Winslow, AZ 86047
|Platforms||1 side platform, 2 island platforms|
|Opened||1929(or 1930)La Posada Hotel|
|Passengers (2013)||4,625 8.1%|
|Official name: Winslow Santa Fe station|
|Designated:||March 31, 1992|
|Part of:||La Posada Historic District|
|Architectural style:||Mission Revival/Spanish Colonial Revival|
The Winslow Amtrak station compound is located at 501 East Second Street in Winslow, Arizona. The buildings are the centerpiece of and has been a contributing property to the La Posada Historic District since March 31, 1992. The station is served daily by Amtrak's Southwest Chief.
The station compound contains the La Posada Hotel designed in the Mission Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival architecture styles by Mary Jane Colter in 1929. Characteristic features include shady colonnades and arcades, roofs covered in red clay tiles, stuccoed walls and decorative wrought ironwork. Built in 1930, La Posada is one of the last of a series of hotel-depot complexes built across the Central and Southwestern United States in a collaboration between Fred Harvey and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.
The hotel was closed in 1957, but restored and reopened as a historic hotel several decades later. The La Posada Hotel is mentioned in the Lost Dogs song "Goodbye Winslow" on the album Old Angel about traveling US Route 66.
As of 2012, the depot was being renovated to serve as a museum celebrating the arts in Winslow and the culture of the Route 66 corridor.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Arizona" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "NPS Focus". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- "Winslow, AZ — Great American Stations". Greatamericanstations.com. 1990-07-26. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "About Winslow Arts Trust". Winslowartstrust.org. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
Media related to La Posada Hotel, Winslow, Arizona at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Winslow, AZ
- Winslow Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- TrainWeb)
- La Posada Hotel
- Winslow (WLO)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This Arizona railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|