The area has a very multi-racial population, with large Afro-Caribbean and Asian communities.
Winson Green has a very high crime rate compared with the rest of Birmingham.
The area was the scene of a riot, one of many to hit England at the time, on the evening of 9 August 2011. Three men defending properties along Dudley Road were run over and killed by a car. They were Haroon Jahan (aged 21), Shahzad Ali (aged 30) and Abdul Musavir (aged 31). The father of Jahan appeared on national television the following day and called for the rioting to stop. The alleged driver and passengers of the car were later acquitted in Court.
One of its streets, James Turner Street, was the location of Benefits Street, which caused controversy when it was broadcast in 2014 due to it showing a cannabis farm and instructions on how to avoid detection during shoplifting.
The Birmingham Canal Navigations Main Line Canal, passes through the area, as does the former LMS main line between Birmingham and Wolverhampton; and the Midland Metro, with a stop at Winson Green Outer Circle, connecting with the Birmingham Outer Circle bus route.
- "Councillors' Advice Bureaux - Soho Ward - Birmingham City Council". GB-BIR: Birmingham.gov.uk. 2013-12-30. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Winson Green". HMP Birmingham. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Birmingham City Hospital | Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals". Swbh.nhs.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- UK (2011-08-04). "City Hospital (formerly Dudley Road Hospital) - Birmingham City Council". GB-BIR: Birmingham.gov.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "BBC News - Winson Green riot death families hold peaceful protest". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-07-27. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Gall, Caroline (2011-08-10). "BBC News - Riots: 'Tensions high' in Winson Green after deaths". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Birmingham riots: Lawyers to review trial after three men killed by car". Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Today - 'Anger won't bring my son back'". BBC News. 2011-08-13. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Press Association (2012-07-19). "Eight men cleared of murder over Birmingham riot deaths | UK news". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Paul Suart. "Benefits Street TV show lied to us, say Winson Green residents". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Evans, Martin. "Police examine Benefits Street documentary after alleged criminal acts are broadcast". Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Waterway Gazetteer for Birmingham Canal Navigations (Old Main Line) – CanalPlanAC". Canalplan.org.uk. 2013-12-31. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Metro Map". Network West Midlands. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- "Winson Green, Outer Circle tram stop : Midland Metro". TheTrams.co.uk. 2004-04-26. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
|This West Midlands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|