Winston W. Royce
Winston W. Royce (1929–1995) was an American computer scientist, director at Lockheed Software Technology Center in Austin, Texas, and one of the leaders in software development in the second half of the 20th century. He was the first who described the Waterfall model for software development, although Royce did not use the term "waterfall" in that article, nor advocated the waterfall model as a working methodology. Royce in fact said that it was "risky and invites failure" and went on to describe Incremental development. DOD-STD-2167 coined the term Waterfall to refer to the diagram on page 2 of Dr. Royce's paper.
Royce was born in 1929. He studied at the California Institute of Technology, where he received a BS in physics and an MS in aeronautical engineering and finally a PhD in aeronautical engineering under Julian David Cole. He worked over 35 years in management, engineering, research, and teaching. During the 1980s he was director at Lockheed Software Technology Center in Austin, Texas. In 1995 on June 7, he died at his home in Clifton, Virginia. In 1975 he had received the AIAA Information Systems Award.
His eldest son is Walker Royce, Chief Software Economist of IBM's Rational division, and author of "Software Project Management, A Unified Framework", and a principal contributor to the management philosophy inherent in the IBM Rational Unified Process.
See also 
Royce published several books and articles. Books
- 1959. Transonic flow over a non-lifting, slender body of revolution. Pasadena : California Institute of Technology, 1959.
- 1997. Software Engineering Project Management. 2nd edition. With R. Thayer & Ed Yourdon.
Articles, a selection:
- 1970. Royce, Winston (1970), "Managing the Development of Large Software Systems", Proceedings of IEEE WESCON 26 (August): 1–9.
- 1989. "Lockheed's Software Technology Center". In: Modern software engineering, foundations and current perspectives. Peter A. Ng (ed.). Van Nostrand Reinhold Co. pp. 561–578.
- 1991. "Current Problems." In: Aerospace Software Engineering, edited by Christine Anderson and Merlin Dorfman, 5–15. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1991.
- 1992. "Status Report: Computer-Aided Prototyping". In: IEEE Software 9(6): 77–81 (1992)
- Dr. Winston W. Royce (1929–1995) at www.informatik.uni-bremen.de. Retrieved Oct 27, 2008.
- Wasserfallmodell : Entstehungskontext, Markus Rerych, Institut für Gestaltungs- und Wirkungsforschung, TU-Wien. Accessed on line November 28, 2007.
- Winston W. Royce at interaction-design.org. Retrieved Oct 27, 2008.
- Alan M. Davis, "Tracing: A Simple Necessity Neglected," in: IEEE Software, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 6–7, Sept., 1995
- Meet our thought leaders at IBM Rational. Retrieved October 27, 2008.
- Royce Winston and W. W. Royce List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server.