Winter Island Historic District and Archeological District
|Nearest city||Salem, Massachusetts|
|Area||45 acres (180,000 m2)|
|NRHP Reference #||94000335 |
|Added to NRHP||April 14, 1994|
Winter Island is an island connected by a causeway to Salem Neck in Salem, Massachusetts. It consists of about 45 acres (180,000 m2)  and is surrounded by: Smith Pool (northwest), Cat Cove (west), Salem Channel (south and east) and Juniper Cove (north). The island has about a dozen residences at the north end and one road, Winter Island Road. The Plummer Home for Boys sits on 18 acres (73,000 m2) of land on the northeastern shore. The balance of the island is Winter Island Marine Park. The entire island was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Winter Island Historic District and Archeological District in 1994.
Winter Island Marine Park is located on the former site of the Fort Pickering Coast Guard Base. It's a marine recreational park open to the public. The park takes up the southern portion of the peninsula.  The main attractions of the park are the historic Fort Pickering, the Fort Pickering Lighthouse, Salem Harbor, a boat launching ramp, and the former Coast Guard seaplane hangar and barracks. Fort Pickering is listed separately on the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2011, a master plan was developed for Winter Island in Salem, with help from the planning and design firm The Cecil Group of Boston and Bioengineering Group of Salem, and the City of Salem paid $45,000 in federal money.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Salem, Massachusetts
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Essex County, Massachusetts
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- Scaled area from USGS topographic quadrangle using AutoCAD
- "The Plummer Home for Boys". 2009-10-07.
- "National Register Historic Districts and Landmarks". City of Salem. 2009-10-07.
- "Winter Island Maritime Park". Marinas.com. 2009-10-07.
- "Winter Island". Historic Salem, Inc. 2009-10-07.
- "Plan calls for amphitheater, other fixes at Winter Island » Local News » SalemNews.com, Salem, MA". Salemnews.com. 2012-08-30. Retrieved 2012-09-03.
|This article about a National Register of Historic Places listing in Essex County, Massachusetts, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|