Winterfylleth live in Birmingham in 2013
|Origin||Manchester, England, United Kingdom|
|Labels||Candlelight, Profound Lore|
|Past members||Richard Brass
Winterfylleth is an English black metal band from Manchester. Since their inception in 2007, the band has released four studio albums and have become a popular act in both the English underground metal scene and the wider international metal arena. Winterfylleth is often considered to be musical 'brothers-in-arms' with fellow English black metal band Wodensthrone owing to the common lyrical and aesthetic themes they share. The band takes its name from the Old English name for the month of October.
Formed and releasing a demo (Rising of the Winter Full Moon) in 2007, Winterfylleth rapidly gained attention in the metal underground, earning them a record deal with Profound Lore Records on which to release their debut 2008 album The Ghost of Heritage. The release was critically well received and garnered the band considerable attention within the English black metal scene. Following this release, Richard Brass (also a member of Wodensthrone) departed the band and Chris Naughton and Simon Lucas were joined by Nick Wallwork and Mark Wood, completing the line-up that would remain until 2015. Winterfylleth then set to work on their second full-length album, The Mercian Sphere, which was released on Candlelight Records in 2010. Again, the release was a critical success (Terrorizer magazine album of the month and twentieth best album of 2010) and propelled the band to international success. This new found recognition landed the band high profile appearances at a number of top metal festivals including Wacken Open Air, Hellfest, Graspop and Bloodstock Open Air. Winterfylleth released their third album in 2012, The Threnody of Triumph, once again to widespread critical acclaim: This release again obtaining Terrorizer magazine's album of the month and 15th best album of 2012. It also was ranked as the 12th best album of 2012 by Kerrang! and made the top ten lists of many Kerrang! contributors that year as well.
In March and April 2013 Winterfylleth toured with and supported Enslaved in seventeen shows out of their eighteen show Spring Rite European tour. Later in the year the band returned to Graspop Metal Meeting for the second year running and soon after made their Summer Breeze Open Air debut. The first half of 2014 saw two releases from Winterfylleth. The first, released in January, was a split EP on vinyl with Ukrainian black metal band Drudkh entitled Thousands of Moons Ago / The Gates which featured covers of bands that have influenced Winterfylleth and Drudkh. The second, released in May, was a compilation album in which Winterfylleth participated entitled One And All, Together, For Home, featuring folk songs recorded by various metal bands including Primordial, Kampfar and, once again, Drudkh. In July 2014 Winterfylleth announced that they planned to release their fourth album, The Divination of Antiquity, in October 2014.
- Studio albums
- The Ghost of Heritage (2008)
- The Mercian Sphere (2010)
- The Threnody of Triumph (2012)
- The Divination of Antiquity (2014)
- Rising of the Winter Full Moon (2007)
- Thousands of Moons Ago / The Gates (2014)
- One And All, Together, For Home (2014)
- "Todd Robinson’s Top 15 Albums Of 2012". Thesleepingshaman.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Wodensthrone - Curse". Rockfreaks.net. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Winterfylleth: The Threnody of Triumph | Album Reviews". Pitchfork.com. 2012-09-20. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Rocklist.net Terrorizer Magazine". Rocklistmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "WACKEN OPEN AIR: Winterfylleth Added to the Line-Up.". Metalrecusants.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Graspop Metal Meeting 2012 - All Metal Festivals". Allmetalfest.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Bloodstock Open Air 2012: Winterfylleth @ Sophie Lancaster Stage - 11 August 2012". Thrashhits.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Rocklist.net...Kerrang! Lists Page 1". Rocklistmusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- [dead link]
- "and so it begins: the Winterfylleth/Enslaved Tour Diary". Terrorizer.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Graspop Metal Meeting 2013 - All Metal Festivals". Allmetalfest.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Summer Breeze 2013 - All Metal Festivals". Allmetalfest.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Winterfylleth To Release Split With Drudkh". Terrorizer.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "'One And All, Together, For Home' Compilation: Album Stream And Review". Terrorizer.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "Winterfylleth Reveal New Album Details". Terrorizer.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.