Location in Imperial County and the state of California
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Total||0.238 sq mi (0.616 km2)|
|• Land||0.238 sq mi (0.616 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||131 ft (40 m)|
|• Density||1,700/sq mi (640/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature IDs||1661702, 2409615|
Winterhaven (formerly, Karmack) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Imperial County, California. Winterhaven is located 6.5 miles (10 km) east of Pilot Knob, The population was 394 at the 2010 census, down from 529 at the 2000 census. It is part of the 'El Centro, California Metropolitan Statistical Area'. North of Interstate 8 and bordering Yuma, Arizona, the town is partly located in the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation. The Colorado River marks the town's eastern border.
Telephone and mail service
Telephone service is provided by Winterhaven Telephone Company, a subsidiary of TDS Telecom, and wired telephones in the area have numbers following the format (760) 572-xxxx. These numbers are assigned to subscribers in Winterhaven, Bard, and Felicity.
The communities of Bard and Felicity, California, appear in the US Geological Survey, National Geographic Names Database and the US Postal Service database and adjoin the community of Winterhaven. The communities of Felicity and Winterhaven share a ZIP code: 92283. Bard does not have postal delivery, and post office boxes for the community have a ZIP code of 92222.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), all land. Winterhaven is the southeasternmost settlement in California.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Winterhaven had a population of 394. The population density was 1,655.3 people per square mile (639.1/km²). The racial makeup of Winterhaven was 245 (62.2%) White, 4 (1.0%) African American, 37 (9.4%) Native American, 1 (0.3%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 84 (21.3%) from other races, and 23 (5.8%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 261 persons (66.2%).
The Census reported that 394 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 151 households, out of which 59 (39.1%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 53 (35.1%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 34 (22.5%) had a female householder with no husband present, 10 (6.6%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 11 (7.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 1 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 48 households (31.8%) were made up of individuals and 27 (17.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61. There were 97 families (64.2% of all households); the average family size was 3.30.
The population was spread out with 116 people (29.4%) under the age of 18, 39 people (9.9%) aged 18 to 24, 63 people (16.0%) aged 25 to 44, 110 people (27.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 66 people (16.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.0 years. For every 100 females there were 86.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.7 males.
There were 186 housing units at an average density of 781.4 per square mile (301.7/km²), of which 62 (41.1%) were owner-occupied, and 89 (58.9%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 3.1%; the rental vacancy rate was 8.1%. 154 people (39.1% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 240 people (60.9%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 529 people, 183 households, and 118 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,203.9 people per square mile (851.0/km²). There were 219 housing units at an average density of 912.4 per square mile (352.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 45.6% White, 3.0% Black or African American, 6.8% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 38.4% from other races, and 5.9% from two or more races. 56.3% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 183 households out of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.5% were married couples living together, 19.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.0% were non-families. 32.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.9 and the average family size was 3.7.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 35.0% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 21.2% from 25 to 44, 18.5% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $11,563, and the median income for a family was $16,417. Males had a median income of $26,458 versus $20,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $7,220. About 41.9% of families and 47.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 60.4% of those under age 18 and 13.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "Winterhaven". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- U.S. Census
- Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Quill Driver Books. p. 1483. ISBN 9781884995149.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "California's 51st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
Los Algodones, Baja California, Mexico
|San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico||Yuma, Arizona|