Winton, North Carolina
|Winton, North Carolina|
Location of Winton, North Carolina
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||39 ft (12 m)|
|• Density||1,180.6/sq mi (455.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0997506|
Winton is located at (36.390023, -76.935780).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 956 people, 373 households, and 252 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,180.6 people per square mile (455.7/km²). There were 385 housing units at an average density of 475.4 per square mile (183.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 27.62% White, 67.99% African American, 2.41% Native American, 0.63% Asian, 0.84% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.78% of the population.
There were 373 households out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.9% were married couples living together, 29.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 26.7% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 87.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $19,706, and the median income for a family was $21,838. Males had a median income of $21,875 compared to $17,059 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,049. About 19.3% of families and 20.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.7% of those under age 18 and 7.1% of those age 65 or over.
Winton and the surrounding area is the home of the Meherrin Tribe. The Tribe has an enrollment of about 900 members and an above-average proportion of college graduates. They are recognized by the state and seeking federal recognition.
The Hertford County Public Schools system serves students in the area. Many go to Hertford County High School in (Ahoskie). C. S. Brown High School, also called the Student Development Center, is located in Winton.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Hertford County Schools". North Carolina's School Report Cards. North Carolina Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- "C.S. Brown’s legacy lives on". The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald. March 30, 2010. Retrieved February 14, 2013.
- Alice Jones Nickens, "Winton's Calvin Scott Brown School", Roanoke-Chowan Website[dead link]