|Traded as||BSE: 507685
BSE SENSEX Constituent
|Industry||IT services, IT consulting|
|Founded||Amalner, Maharashtra (December 1945)|
|Founder(s)||Mohammed Hasham Premji|
|Headquarters||Doddakannelli, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka, India|
|Key people||Azim Premji
|Services||IT, business consulting and outsourcing services|
|Revenue||US$ 7.95 billion (2013)|
|Operating income||US$ 1.28 billion (2013)|
|Profit||US$ 1.22 billion (2013)|
|Total assets||US$ 8.08 billion (2013)|
|Total equity||US$ 5.21 billion (2013)|
Wipro Limited (formerly Western India Products Limited) (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685) is an Indian multinational information technology (IT) consulting and outsourcing service company located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. As of March 2013, the company has 145,000 employees with a presence in 54 countries. Wipro is the third largest IT services company in India. Its subsidiary, Wipro Enterprises Ltd., offers consumer care, lighting, healthcare, and infrastructure engineering.
Early formative years
The company was incorporated on 29 December 1945 in Mumbai by Mohamed Hasham Premji as Western India Vegetables Products Limited, later abbreviated to Wipro. It was initially set up as a manufacturer of vegetable ghee, vanaspati and refined oils in Amalner, Dist:Jalgaon, Maharashtra under the trade names of Kisan, Sunflower and Camel. The company logo still contains a sunflower to reflect products of the original business.
In 1966, after Mohamed Premji’s death, his son Azim Premji returned home from Stanford University and took over Wipro as its chairman at the age of 21. Wipro became a more profitable, diversified corporation with new products such as the Wipro SuperGenius personal computers (PCs). In 1999, the product was the one Indian PC range to obtain US-based National Software Testing Laboratory (NSTL) certification for the Year 2000 (Y2K) compliance in hardware for all models. Azim Premji is a major shareholder in Wipro. During the 1970s and 1980s, the company shifted its focus to new business opportunities in the IT and computing industry, which was at a nascent stage in India at the time. In June 7, 1977, the name of the Company was changed from Western India Vegetable Products Limited., to Wipro Products Limited.
The year 1980 marked the arrival of Wipro in the IT domain. In 1982, the name was changed from Wipro Products Limited to Wipro Limited Meanwhile Wipro continued to expand in the consumer products domain with the launch of `Ralak' a tulsi based family soap and `Wipro Jasmine', a toilet soap.
In 1988, Wipro diversified its product line into heavy duty industrial cylinders and mobile hydraulic cylinders. A joint venture company with General Electric of U.S.A., in the name of Wipro GE Medical Systems Pvt. Ltd. was set up in 1989 for the manufacture, sales and service of diagnostic and imaging products. Later, in 1991, tipping systems and Eaton hydraulic products were launched. The Wipro Fluid Power division, in 1992, developed expertise to offer standard hydraulic cylinders for construction equipment and truck tipping systems. The market saw the launch of the "Santoor" talcum powder and "Wipro Baby Soft" range of baby toiletries in 1990.
In 1994, Wipro set up an overseas design centre, Odyssey 21, for undertaking projects and product developments in advanced technologies for overseas clients. Wipro Infotech and Wipro Systems were amalgamated with Wipro in April that year. Five of Wipro's manufacturing and development facilities secured the ISO 9001 certification during 1994-95. In 1999, Wipro acquired Wipro Acer. Wipro SuperGenius personal computers (PCs) became the only Indian PC range to obtain the US-based National Software Testing Laboratory's (NSTL) Certification for Year 2000 (Y2K) compliance. Wipro Limited joined hands with a global telecom major KPN (Royal Dutch telecom) to form a joint venture company “Wipro Net Limited” to provide internet services in India. The year 2000 was the year Wipro launched solutions for convergent networks targeted at Internet and telecom solution providers in the names of Wipro OSS Smart and Wipro WAP Smart. it is
In February 2002, Wipro became the first software technology and services company in India to be certified for ISO 14001 certification. Wipro also achieved ISO 9000 certification to become the first software company to get SEI CMM Level 5 in 2002. Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting Group entered the market of Compact Fluorescent Lamps, with the launch of a range of CFL, under the brand name of Wipro Smartlite. As the company grew, a study revealed that Wipro was the fastest wealth creator for 5 years (1997–2002). The same year witnessed the launch of Wipro’s own laptops with Intel's Centrino mobile processor. Wipro also entered into an exclusive agreement with the owners of Chandrika for marketing of their soap in select states in India. It set up a wholly owned subsidiary company viz. Wipro Consumer Care Limited to manufacture consumer care and lighting products. In 2004, Wipro joined the billion dollar club. It also partnered with Intel for i-shiksha. The year 2006 saw Wipro acquire cMango Inc., a US based Technology Infrastructure Consulting firm Enabler, and a Europe based retail solutions provider. In 2007, Wipro inked a large deal with Lockheed Martin. It also entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Oki Techno Centre Singapore Pte Ltd (OTCS) and signed an R&D partnership contract with Nokia Siemens Networks in Germany. The year 2008 saw Wipro’s foray into the clean energy business with Wipro Eco Energy. In April 2011, Wipro signed an agreement with Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) for the acquisition of their global oil and gas information technology practice of the commercial business services business unit. The year 2012 saw Wipro make its 17th acquisition in IT business when it acquired Australian analytics product firm Promax Applications Group (PAG) for $35 million. Wipro is the #1 employer of H-1B visa professionals in the United States in 2012.
In year 2012, Wipro Ltd. announced the demerger of its Consumer Care & Lighting (incl. Furniture business), Infrastructure Engineering (Hydraulics & Water business), and Medical Diagnostic Product & Services business into a separate company to be named Wipro Enterprises Ltd. Wipro's scheme of arrangement for demerger turned effective from March 31, 2013.
Wipro Group of Companies
Wipro Limited is a global provider of comprehensive IT solutions and services, including Systems Integration, Consulting, Information Systems outsourcing, IT enabled services, and R&D services.
It is also a value added reseller of desktops, servers, notebooks, storage products, networking solutions and packaged software for international brands.
Wipro entered into the technology business in 1981 and has over 140,000 employees and clients across 54 countries today. IT revenues stood at $ 6.2 billion for the year ended March 31, 2013 with a repeat business ratio of over 95%.
Wipro Enterprises Ltd.
Wipro Consumer Care & Lighting
Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting (WCCLG), a business unit of Wipro Limited operates in the FMCG segment offering a wide range of consumable commodities. Established in 1945, the first product to be introduced by WCCLG was vegetable oil, later popularized under the brand name 'Sunflower Vanaspati'. It offers personal care products, such as Wipro Baby Soft and Wipro Safewash, toilet soaps like Santoor and Chandrika and international brands like Yardley. Its portfolio of lighting solutions includes products like Smartlite CFL, LED, emergency lights and more.
Wipro Infrastructure Engineering
Wipro Infrastructure Engineering is the hydraulics business division of Wipro Limited and has been in the business of manufacturing hydraulic cylinders, truck cylinders, and their components and solutions since 1976. This division delivers hydraulic cylinders to international OEMs and represents the Kawasaki, Sun Hydraulics and Teijin Seiki range of hydraulic products in India. It has entered into partnerships with companies like Kawasaki and aerospace giant EADS. The commitment to quality has made Wipro Infrastructure Engineering the second largest independent manufacturer of cylinders in the world. The company has recently ventured into water treatment systems and solutions to cater to the needs of various industries.i
Wipro GE Medical Systems Limited
Wipro GE Medical Systems Limited is Wipro’s joint venture with GE Healthcare South Asia. It is engaged in the research and development of advanced solutions to cater to patient and customer needs in healthcare. This partnership, which began in 1990, today includes offerings like gadgets and equipment for diagnostics, healthcare IT solutions and services to help healthcare professionals combat cancer, heart disease and other ailments. There is complete adherence to Six Sigma quality standards in all products.
Chairman : Azim.H.Premji
Chief Executive Officer : T K Kurien - IT Business and Executive Director
Chief Financial Officer : Suresh Senapaty - CFO and Executive Director
Chief Operations Officer : Bhanumurthy Ballapuram
Sustainability at Wipro
Wipro’s approach to sustainability is structured on enabling itself, as an organisation, and its customers to be more ecologically sustainable. It is driven by issues considered important to employees, current and future generations, customers, investors, suppliers and the community as a whole. Wipro has been ranked 1st in the 2010 Asian Sustainability Rating (ASRTM) of Indian companies and is a member of the NASDAQ Global Sustainability Index as well as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
WIPRO BPO (Kolkata location )
- "Wipro". Yahoo.
- "Wipro From a vegetable oil maker to an IT major – NDTV.com".
- "Business Today Interview with Azim Premji".
- "Economic Times".
- "About Wipro".
- Shetty, Sonny. "Gartner Says Top Five Indian IT Services Providers Grew 23.8 Percent In 2011". Gartner. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Business Today".
- "Company History of Wipro". Money Control.
- "Billionaire Profile: Azim Premji". GuyLife.
- "In brief". Financial Express.
- "Wipro acquires 45 per cent of Wipro Net from KPN Telecom". Financial Express.
- "Company profile for Wipro". Reuters.
- "Company History & Profile of Wipro". The Economic Times.
- "Corporate Round-up". Capital Market.
- "Wipro releases WAP solutions". The Hindu.
- "Wipro Tech gets ISO 4001". Business Line.
- "Wipro world's first to achieve level 5 in people's assessment". Rediff.
- "Software Engineering Institute". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro Lighting launches new range". Business Line.
- "Wipro Is Fastest Wealth Creator For 5 Years: Study". The Financial Express.
- "Wipro is biggest wealth creator during 1998-2003: Study". Business Line.
- "Acer, Wipro laptops have new wi-fi chips". The Hindu Business Line.
- "Wipro To Market Chandrika Soap In Select States". The Financial Express.
- "Wipro buys lease rights of Chandrika soap". Business Standards.
- "Wipro to set up consumer care unit in Himachal". Business Standards.
- "Wipro joins billion dollar club, announces 2:1 bonus shares". The Hindu.
- "Wipro and Intel launch 'I-Shiksha' solution". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro, Intel Join Forces to Launch i-shiksha". Channel Times.
- "Wipro buys US-based cMango for $20M". The Hindu Business Line.
- "Wipro bags US consulting co cMango". The Economic Times.
- "India's Wipro acquires Enabler". CNET News.
- "Lockheed Martin, Wipro To Light Ambar Jyoti In India". EFYTimes.
- "Wipro, Lockheed Martin start ops in Gurgaon". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro to Acquire Oki's Wireless Chip Design Arm". PC World.
- "Wipro to manage R&D for Nokia Siemens". Reuters.
- "Wipro to buy Nokia Siemens R&D unit in Berlin". EE Times Asia.
- "The Inside Story of Azim Premji's Next Billion Dollar Plan". Forbes.
- "Stable, yet supple". Business Today.
- "Wipro buys part of SAIC IT business for $150 mn". Economic times.
- "India's Wipro to buy SAIC energy tech biz for $150 mln". Reuter.
- "Wipro to acquire Australia's Promax Applications Group for Rs 192 crore". Economic times.
- "Wipro to buy analytics firm Promax for $36 mn". Business Standard.
- "Top 10 Employers". H-1B Temporary Visa Program - Selected Statistics, FY 2012. OFFICE OF FOREIGN LABOR CERTIFICATION. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "Wipro Ltd. Announces Demerger of its Consumer Care & Lighting (incl. Furniture Business), Infrastructure Engineering (Hydraulics & Water Business),and Medical Diagnostic Product & Services Business into a Separate Company to be Named Wipro Enterprises Ltd". Wipro.
- "Wipro hives off non-IT business into separate company". Economic times.
- "Wipro's Scheme of Arrangement for Demerger Effective from March 31, 2013". Wipro.
- "Wipro demerger scheme comes into effect". Times of India.
- "Company Profile for Wipro". Reuters.
- "Wipro launches iPhone app". The Times of India.
- "Results for the quarter and year ended March 31, 2013 under IFRS". Wipro.
- "Industry, Materials and Utilities". Reuters.
- "Wipro restructures to take on TCS, Infosys, Cognizant; senior managers exit, 6 verticals created". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro Wins National Telecom Awards 2011". EFYTimes.
- "Wipro reorganizes to simplify". The Times of India.
- "Wipro Consumer Care & Lighting to launch Glucose tablets". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro sees high demand for CFL bulbs". Business Standard.
- "Company Overview of Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting Ltd.". Businessweek.
- "Wipro's Santoor is largest soap brand in South India". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro FMCG arm reports 26% rise in revenues on strong demand". The Financial Express.
- "Yardley's proof of Wipro's FMCG focus". The Economic Times.
- "Company History - Wipro Ltd". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro, Kawasaki in talks for hydraulic oil pumps". Business Line.
- "Wipro, Kawasaki enter into a joint venture". CIOL.
- "Wipro Infrastructure Engineering to to set up Rs 50 cr plant in Bangalore". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro Infrastructure Engineering ties up with EADS arm". The Economic Times.
- "Pumping up the world". Made in India.
- "Wipro Infrastructure Engineering Forays into China". The Telegraph.
- "Wipro plans Rs 100 cr manufacturing facility". Business Standard.
- "Wipro GE to consolidate healthcare biz". Business Standard.
- "About Wipro GE Healthcare". GE Healthcare.
- "Six Sigma has worked wonders for Wipro GE". Financial Express.
- "Six Sigma has worked wonders for Wipro GE". Financial Express.
- "Wipro continues to lead in sustainability disclosures". Business Standard.
- "Nasdaq-100 includes Wipro in Global Sustainability Index". Business Line.
- "Wipro Named Among World's Most Ethical Companies". EFYTimes.
- "Guide to Greener Electronics 18 | WIPRO". Greenpeace. November 2012.
http://www.waseians.com - a hub for wipro WASEians - provides all the details of wipro WASE program and WASEians experiences.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Wipro|
- Official website (Mobile)
- Wipro's channel on YouTube
- Wipro at CrunchBase
- Wipro at Wikinvest
- Wipro Customer Care
- Business data
- Wipro Limited at Google Finance
- Wipro Limited at Yahoo! Finance
- Wipro Limited at Hoover's
- Wipro Limited at Reuters
- Wipro Limited SEC filings at SECDatabase.com
- Wipro Limited SEC filings at the Securities and Exchange Commission