State Highway 243 (Minnesota–Wisconsin)
|Maintained by Mn/DOT and WisDOT|
|Length:||1.53 mi[a] (2.46 km)|
|Existed:||1949 – present|
|West end:||MN 95 in Franconia Township, MN|
|East end:||WIS 35 in Osceola, WI|
|Counties:||Chisago (MN), Polk (WI)|
Trunk Highway 243 and State Trunk Highway 243 (MN 243, WIS 243) are two short state highways in the U.S. states of Minnesota and Wisconsin. They connect MN 95 in Franconia Township, Minnesota with WIS 35 in Osceola, Wisconsin. The two highways meet at the state line on a bridge across St. Croix River. The combined highway is 1.53 miles (2.46 km) in length, 1.23 miles (1.98 km) in Minnesota and 0.30 miles (0.48 km) in Wisconsin. The two highways were designated in 1949. The bridge across the St. Croix River dates to 1953.
Highway 243 serves as a short route between Franconia Township and the village of Osceola. The highway starts at MN 95 on Osceola Road and runs southeasterly for a short distance before it turns northeasterly and parallel to the St. Croix River. Then it turns back to the southeast near some ponds along the riverbank to the bridge across the river. The highway crosses the state line into Wisconsin continuing to the southeast. Before the highway ends, it turns to the east to intersect WIS 35 in Osceola.
Trunk Highway 243 was authorized in 1949 in Minnesota, at the same time State Trunk Highway 243 was designated in Wisconsin. Dr. L.O. Simenstad was responsible for both highways being designated as part of their state highway systems. In 1952, the state of Minnesota reconstructed part of the roadway after a section of it washed out. This project lengthened the length of the highway by 0.40 miles (0.64 km) at the time. The current bridge was built in 1953 and rebuilt in 1980 by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT).[b] The bridge went through a month-long structural rehabilitation between late April and late May 2010. This project was being undertaken by Minnesota Department of Transportation (Mn/DOT) because the bridge is of similar design to the Interstate 35W Bridge over the Mississippi River that collapsed on August 1, 2007. At the same time as the closure, Mn/DOT repaved their stretch of Highway 243. WisDOT also repaved their segment of the roadway, and they removed some rock from a bluff near the highway overlooking the river. The project was completed on May 28, 2010, when the bridge reopened to cars and passenger trucks.
|Minnesota||Chisago||Franconia Township||0.000||0.000||MN 95 – Scandia, Taylors Falls|
|St. Croix River||1.233
|Wisconsin||Polk||Osceola||0.30||0.48||WIS 35 – Somerset, St. Croix Falls|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Total mileage is a summation of the state mileages.
- In the National Bridge Inventory, a collection of reports from state departments of transportation on the status of the country's bridges, Wisconsin and Minnesota both reported the 1953 construction, but only Wisconsin reported the 1980 reconstruction.
- Mileage numbers reset at the Minnesota–Wisconsin state line crossing.
- Berg, Earl L. (1949). "Chapter 663-H.F. No. 1792". Session Laws of Minnesota for 1949. St. Paul, MN: Commissioner of Administration. pp. 1177–1185.
- Minnesota Department of Highways (January 1, 1949). Official Road Map of Minnesota (Map). Section N17. http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/mdt&CISOPTR=228&REC=17. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Minnesota Department of Highways (January 1, 1950). Official Highway Map (Map). Section N17. http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/mdt&CISOPTR=1291&REC=3. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- Staff (September 9, 2009). "Metro Division". Trunk Highway Log Point (PDF). St. Paul, MN: Minnesota Department of Transportation. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Staff (May 14, 2009). State Trunk Highway Log for Region 5. Eau Claire, WI: Wisconsin Department of Transportation. p. 669.
- Google Inc. "Osceola, WI". Google Maps (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Osceola,+WI&sll=45.442037,-92.649164&sspn=0.028485,0.032058&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Osceola,+Polk,+Wisconsin&ll=45.319866,-92.715511&spn=0.057093,0.064116&t=h&z=14. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Schillberg, John G. "A History of Osceola Wisconsin". Osceola, WI: Osceola Historical Society. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Staff. "Control Section 1310, Trunk Highway 243". Construction Project Logs (PDF). St. Paul, MN: Minnesota Department of Transportation. Retrieved March 24, 2011.
- Staff (2010). "B48022400000000". National Bridge Inventory. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Staff (2010). "6347". National Bridge Inventory. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- Weaver, Kyle (April 6, 2010). "Bridge rehab begins". Kanabec County Times (Mora, MN: Kanabec Publications). Archived from the original on March 24, 2011. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "Busy Bridge in Western Wisconsin Re-opens Friday". Eau Claire, WI: WQOW-TV. May 28, 2010. Archived from the original on March 24, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2011.