Wisconsin Lutheran High School
|Wisconsin Lutheran High School|
|330 N. Glenview Ave.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 53213-3379, United States
|Denomination||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod|
|President||Pastor Kenneth Fisher|
|Vice principal||Kirk DeNoyer|
|Age||14 to 18|
|Number of students||862|
|School colour(s)||Royal blue, white, and red|
|Song||Lutheran High School, hats off to thee|
|Athletics conference||Wisconsin Little Ten|
Wisconsin Lutheran High School, commonly referred to as WLHS or Wisco, is a first tier private preparatory high school located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Originally part of Lutheran High School (LHS), it is the oldest Lutheran high school in America. It is owned and operated by various Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) congregations in the Milwaukee area.
Wisconsin Lutheran High School's curriculum includes Advanced Placement courses, Project Lead the Way – a high-level engineering curriculum, and a Resource Center for those who need academic support. WLHS has attained accreditation at the exemplary level through Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod School Accreditation (WELSSA), Wisconsin Religious and Independent School Association (WRISA), and the National Council for Private School Accreditation (NCPSA).
WLHS won state Division III football championships in 2004, 2005, and 2007. It was runner up in 2003 and 2011. WLHS won the Division II basketball state championship for the first time in school history in 2009. WLHS also won the Division II basketball state championship in 2014. The high school's cheerleading program has won nine state championships (1996, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010) and in 2009 made it to finals at the National High School Cheerleading Competition in Orlando, Florida for the first time in the school's history. They reached 6th place at the competition which was the highest place an all-girl squad from Wisconsin had ever achieved. In 2011, WISCO was a National Finalist as well.
A PAVE School
PAVE is an independent, non-profit foundation funded through corporate, foundation and individual support. PAVE aims to give low-income families in Milwaukee options when selecting schools for their children. The PAVE Quality Assessment Process defines and measures significant benchmarks consistent with national best practices.
- David Craig, politician
- Dennis Koehler, founding member, Vietnam Veterans of America, Inc., Class of 1959
- Harvey Kuenn, former player and manager, Major League Baseball, Class of 1949
- Dr. Joan Prince, Vice Chancellor, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, Class of 1971
- Dr. William Raasch, head team physician, Milwaukee Brewers, Class of 1977
- Mark Wilson, five-time winner on the PGA Tour, Class of 1993
- Kevin Zeitler, NFL offensive guard, Cincinnati Bengals, Class of 2008
- "School Detail for Wisconsin Lutheran High School". National Center for Education Statistics. 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-20.
- Krause, Carol (2007). "School History". WLHS Website. Retrieved 2008-10-29.[dead link]
- "Football Results 1999-2008". Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association. 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 2011–2012,' Biographical Sketch of David Craig, pg. 75
- 'WLHS Hall of Fame Class of 2013 Inductees,' http://www.wlhs.org/alumni/halloffame.html
- 'WLHS Hall of Fame Class of 2005 Inductees,' http://www.wlhs.org/alumni/halloffame.html
- 'WLHS Hall of Fame Class of 2011 Inductees,' http://www.wlhs.org/alumni/halloffame.html
- 'WLHS Hall of Fame Class of 2008 Inductees,' http://www.wlhs.org/alumni/halloffame.html