Wish I Was Here
|Wish I Was Here|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Zach Braff|
|Produced by||Stacey Sher
|Written by||Zach Braff
|Music by||Rob Simonsen|
|Edited by||Myron Kerstein|
|Distributed by||Focus Features|
|Running time||106 minutes|
Wish I Was Here is a 2014 American comedy-drama film directed by Zach Braff and co-written with his brother Adam Braff. The film stars Braff, Josh Gad, Ashley Greene, Kate Hudson, Joey King, and Mandy Patinkin. The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2014 and was given a limited release on July 18, 2014 by Focus Features.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2014)|
Wish I Was Here is the story of Aidan Bloom, a struggling actor, father and husband, who at 35 is still trying to find his identity; a purpose for his life. He winds up trying to home school his two children when his father can no longer afford to pay for private education and the only available public school is on its last legs. Through teaching them about life his way, Aidan gradually discovers some of the parts of himself he couldn't find.
- Zach Braff as Aidan Bloom
- Kate Hudson as Sarah Bloom
- Joey King as Grace Bloom
- Pierce Gagnon as Tucker Bloom
- Mandy Patinkin as Gabe Bloom
- Josh Gad as Noah Bloom
- Ashley Greene as Janine
- Jim Parsons as Paul
- Donald Faison as Anthony 
- Phill Lewis as nerd
- Leslie David Baker as Audition actor #1
- James Avery as Audition actor #2
- Mark Thudium as Terry
- Bob Clendenin as Defense attorney
On April 24, 2013, director Zach Braff launched the Kickstarter campaign for his new upcoming comedy film Wish I Was Here to make $2 million to boost his project, based on his own script co-written with his brother Adam J. Braff. Cinematographer Larry Sher was set as a director of photography and producers Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher were set to produce the film project. The campaign raised $2 million in 3 days after the project was launched. On 15 May Worldview Entertainment stepped in to gap finance the film project and the Kickstarter project has raised over $2.6 million. On May 24 the campaign ended, having raised $3,105,473 from 46,520 people.
At New York's premiere, actress Joey King stated that she donated money to the film on Kickstarter before she was even attached to the film as a cast-member.
At the time the Kickstarter was launched, Zach Braff and Jim Parsons had already been cast. Braff will play the role of Aidan Bloom, a struggling actor, husband and father trying to find his purpose. On May 14, 2013, Mandy Patinkin joined the cast, playing Saul Bloom, Aidan Bloom's father. Josh Gad also joined the cast to play the role of Aiden's brother. On May 15, Anna Kendrick signed on to play Janine, a young woman into Cosplay. Kate Hudson joined on May 20; she will play Sarah Bloom, Aidan Bloom's wife. Joey King was set to play Grace Bloom, the 12-year-old daughter of Aidan and Sarah Bloom on July 2, 2013. Pierce Gagnon was added to the cast on 9 July, playing Tucker Bloom, son of Aidan and Sarah. On 17 July, it was announced that Ashley Greene would replace Anna Kendrick as Janine.
The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival in January 2014, 10 years after the premiere of Braff's directorial debut Garden State. Focus Features bought the distribution rights for $2.75 million.
After its opening at Sundance, it was announced that the film would open on July 18, 2014, exclusively in NY and LA. However, the release ended up being a bit wider playing in 68 theaters during its opening weekend. The film will then expand its reach on July 25 and again on August 1st.
Wish I Was Here received mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes the film holds a rating of 41% based on 90 reviews, with the site's consensus reading: "There's no denying Wish I Was Here is heartfelt, but it covers narrative ground that's already been well trod -- particularly by director Zach Braff's previous features." On Metacritic the film has a score of 43 out of 100, based on 33 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "So Now What" by The Shins
- "Broke Window" by Gary Jules
- "The Mute" by Radical Face
- "Cherry Wine" (Live) by Hozier
- "Holocene" by Bon Iver
- "The Shining" by Badly Drawn Boy
- "Mexico" by Jump Little Children
- "Wish I Was Here" by Cat Power and Coldplay
- "Wait It Out" by Allie Moss
- "The Obvious Child" by Paul Simon
- "Breathe In" by Japanese Wallpaper featuring Wafia
- "Heavenly Father" by Bon Iver
- "Raven's Song" by Aaron Embry
- "Mend" by The Weepies
- "No One to Let You Down" by The Head and the Heart
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (July 2014)|
- "WISH I WAS HERE (15)". Koch Film. British Board of Film Classification. July 28, 2014. Retrieved July 30, 2014.
- "Zach Braff Explains Why He Turned to Kickstarter for New Indie Film". hollywoodreporter.com. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Sundance 2014: World Cinema Dramatic Competition". Retrieved May 5, 2014.
- "Kate Hudson Joins Zach Braff’s Kickstarter Movie ‘Wish I Was Here’". deadline.com. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Joey King Joins ‘Wish I Was Here’". deadline.com. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "‘Looper’s Pierce Gagnon Joins ‘Wish I Was Here’". deadline.com. 9 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Mandy Patinkin Joins Zach Braff’s Kickstarter Pic ‘Wish I Was Here’". deadline.com. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Josh Gad Joins Zach Braff’s ‘Wish I Was Here’". variety.com. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Ashley Greene In For Anna Kendrick On Zach Braff’s Kickstarter Pic ‘Wish I Was Here’". deadline.com. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
Faisonwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference
- "Zach Braff Launches Kickstarter Campaign For New Directorial Effort 'Wish I Was Here'". indiewire.com. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Zach Braff’s ‘Wish I Was Here’ Kickstarter Hits $2 Million Goal In 3 Days". deadline.com. 27 April 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Zach Braff Kickstarter Project Gets Gap Financing". variety.com. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Zach Braff Ends $3+M Kickstarter Campaign". deadline.com. 24 May 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Lewis, Hilary (July 15, 2014). "'Wish I Was Here' N.Y. Premiere: Zach Braff, Cast on Kickstarter Benefits, Character Draws". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "Mandy Patinkin Joins Zach Braff’s ‘Wish I Was Here’". variety.com. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- "Anna Kendrick Joins Zach Braff's 'Wish I Was Here' Kickstarter Movie". thewrap.com. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Uncle Phil: Fresh Prince Star James Avery Dies
- "Zach Braff kick-starts filming on the set of Wish I Was Here after raising $3.1 million online". dailymail.co.uk. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- "Zach Braff’s ‘I Wish I Was Here’ begins filming in Los Angeles". onlocationvacations.com. 8 August 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- Sciretta, Peter (9 April 2014). "Zach Braff’s ‘Wish I Was Here’ Teaser Trailer". slashfilm.com. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- 2014 Sundance Film Festival Adds Wish I Was Here by Zach Braff to Premieres Retrieved January 1, 2014
- Stewart, Andrew (19 January 2014). "Zach Braff’s ‘Wish I Was Here’ Bought by Focus Features". variety.com. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Zach Braff's 'Wish I Was Here' Gets Focus Release Date". indiewire.com. 27 February 2014. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Wish I Was Here - Rotten Tomatoes
- Wish I Was Here Reviews - Metacritic
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wish I Was Here.|