||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2015)|
|Traded as||NASDAQ: WIX|
|Headquarters||Tel Aviv, Israel|
Number of locations
|San Francisco, New York City, Dnipropetrovsk, Vilnius, Beersheba, Haifa|
|Services||Website builder, Web hosting service|
|Revenue||$80.47 million (2013)|
|Total assets||$115.35 million (2013)|
Number of employees
Wix.com is a cloud-based web development platform that allows users to create HTML5 websites and mobile sites, through the use of their online drag and drop tools. Users can add functionalities such as social plug-ins, eCommerce, contact forms, email marketing, and community forums to their websites using a variety of Wix-developed and third-party applications.
Wix is built on a freemium business model, earning its revenues through premium upgrades. Users must purchase premium packages in order to connect their sites to their own domains, remove Wix ads, add e-commerce capabilities, buy extra data storage and bandwidth and more. 
Wix was founded in 2006 by Avishai Abrahami, Nadav Abrahami and Giora Kaplan. The company, headquartered in Tel Aviv, with offices in San Francisco, New York City, Dnipropetrovsk, and Vilnius, is backed by investors Insight Venture Partners, Mangrove Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners and Benchmark Capital.
By April 2010 Wix had 3.5 million users and raised $10 million in Series C funding provided by Benchmark Capital and existing investors Bessemer Venture Partners and Mangrove Capital Partners. A year later, in March 2011, Wix had 8.5 million users and raised $40 million in Series D funding, bring its total funding to date to $61 million.
Move to HTML5
In March 2012, Wix launched a new HTML5 site builder, replacing the Adobe Flash technology; existing sites built in Flash were still supported, but all new customers were directed to the new HTML5 platform.
As of August 2013, the Wix platform is being used by over 35 million Internet users to create their online presence.
As of August 2014, over 51 million users across 190 countries have used Wix to power their websites. On average, 45,000 new users are signing up every day.
IPO on NASDAQ
Wix provides hundreds of website templates and a drag and drop HTML5 website builder which includes apps, graphics, image galleries, fonts and more. Wix rightfully occupies a leading positions in most independent reviews as one of the best free website builders for website creation. Everything on Wix’ website-templates is customizable so users can choose function, style, color, text, background, buttons that match their needs  or opt to create their websites from scratch. In October, 2013 Wix introduced its own Mobile Editor. The editor lets users easily adjust their Wix-driven sites to mobile viewing. One drawback of the HTML5 editor is the missing ability to switch to a new template design after the user has made his initial choice. Many of their competitors offer easier ways to switch templates.
Wix App Market
On October 2012, Wix launched an app market for selling of third-party applications built with the company's automated Web development technology. Wix’s software development kit lets app developers create and offer web apps to Wix’ millions of users around the globe. Wix App Market offers both free and subscription-based applications, with a revenue split of 70 percent for the developer and 30 percent for Wix.
The App Market enables customers to integrate third-party applications into their own websites and includes solutions, such as: photo feeds, blogging, music playlists, online community, e-mail marketing, and file management.
On May 15, 2014, Wix announced "WixHive API" in which allows any installed Wix app within a Wix user's website to capture and share their visitors' data (such as contact information, messages, purchases, bookings, etc.) with other installed apps within the same website). By sharing data, this gives Wix users more actionable information about their visitors' behavior and can help businesses grow.
In addition being able to use Wix for free, Wix has five pricing plans:
- Connect Domain Plan ($6.90 per month)
- Combo Plan ($10.95 per month)
- Unlimited Plan ($15.95 per month)
- eCommerce Plan ($19.90 per month)
- VIP Plan ($29.90 per month)
Discounts are offered if a user subscribes to their annual plans. The higher plans provide users with more website building features, storage, bandwidth and support. All annual plans higher than the Connect Domain plan also comes with a free domain name for 1 year.
Wix's primary competitors in the website publishing industry include Webnode, WordPress, Weebly, Squarespace, GoDaddy, amongst others. At the moment, Wix is the only company amongst its competitors that is publicly listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market.
- Zukerman, Erez (9 April 2012). "Create a Website Easily With Wix". PCWorld. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "Now At 25M Users, Wix Brings Third-Party Apps To Its Website Builder With New Marketplace". TechCrunch. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "New options for building a free website". MSN. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Business Solution Reviews". Wix.com. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- "Wix.com". LinkedIn. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- Vidra, Eze (28 March 2011). "Israeli startup Wix Raises $40 Million, Wants to Become a Large Company in Israel". VC Cafe. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- McCarthy, Caroline (13 October 2008). "Site creator Wix announces funding, subscriptions". CNET. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- Investment of $10 Million Raised by Wix for Promotion of Flash Website Software, (PRWEB) April 2, 2010
- Israeli startup Wix Raises $40 Million, Wants to Become a Large Company in Israel, Eze Vidra, VCCafe; March 28, 2011
- Wix launches a brand new HTML5 site builder as Flash heads the way of the dodo, Harrison Weber, The Next Web, 26 March 2012
- Israeli start-up Wix to make $75 million IPO in the U.S., Inbal Orpaz | Feb.20, 2013, Haaretz
- Shemer, Nadav (10 June 2013). "6 Israeli Startups To Watch As Google Reportedly Buys Waze For $1.3 Billion". Fast Company. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Wix About Us". Wix.com. Wix.com.
- Israeli start-up Wix raises $127m in Nasdaq IPO ,'Financial Times, 6 November 2013
- Haught, Lesley (12 November 2013). "Free Website Builders". WebBuildersGuide.com. Retrieved 2014-12-14.
- Prive, Tanya (18 October 2012). "20 Must Have Tools For Small Businesses". Forbes. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- "New Mobile Solution from Wix". Wix Blog.
- "Wix.com Review – Website Creation for Creative People". WebsiteToolTester. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
- Barrett, Jeff (16 October 2012). "Wix introduces game-changing App Market for web developers". The Washington Times. Retrieved 2014-01-17.
- Wix.com launches apps market, Paul Krill, October 16, 2012, Computerworld
- Clancy, Heatjer (16 May 2013). "Small-business web host becomes Google reseller". ZDNet. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Wix and Shopify Partner to Launch New Small Business Solution Yahoo! Finance, Nov 19, 2012
- "WixHive API". Wix.com. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Wix Premium Plans". Wix.com. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Wong, Jeremy. "Pros and Cons of Wix". Website Builder Expert. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Wong, Jeremy. "Wix Industry Competitors". Website Builder Expert. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Nasdaq Listed Company". Wix.com. Retrieved 10 August 2014.