|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
|Studio album by Wizzard|
|Genre||Progressive rock, hard rock, cello rock, glam rock|
US alternative cover
Wizzard Brew is the debut album by glam rock group Wizzard, released in 1973. It reached a peak of No. 29 in the UK Albums Chart. In the United States, it was released by United Artists Records as Wizzard's Brew (with a different cover photo) and but failed to chart there.
In approach, the album was much more experimental than the group's hit singles, with elements of hard rock (an approach Wood's previous band The Move had explored on their 1970 album Looking On), and improvisation, especially on the lengthy "Meet Me At The Jailhouse". Wood frequently used ring modulation to give the instruments a harsh, distorted sound, and the album may represent an early foray into recording technique that would eventually be called lo-fi. Critical and popular reaction was mixed.
The original release included a lyric and photo sheet. It was reissued on CD in 1999 but soon deleted. An expanded remastered edition, including the four A-side and B-sides of the group's singles tracks, was released on CD in November 2006.
All songs written by Roy Wood, except where noted
- "You Can Dance Your Rock 'N' Roll" – 4:37
- "Meet Me at the Jailhouse" – 13:33
- "Jolly Cup of Tea" – 2:13
- "Buffalo Station/Get on Down to Memphis" – 7:37
- "Gotta Crush (About You)" – 3:44
- "Wear a Fast Gun" – 9:20
2006 bonus tracks
- "Ball Park Incident" ('A') - 3:42
- "The Carlsberg Special (Pianos Demolished Phone 021 373 4472)" (Bill Hunt) ('B') - 4:16
- "See My Baby Jive" ('A') - 5:01
- "Bend Over Beethoven" - (Hugh McDowell) ('B') - 4:42
- "Angel Fingers" ('A') - 4:39
- "You Got the Jump on Me" - (Rick Price) ('B') - 6:28
- "Rob Roy's Nightmare (A Bit More H.A.)" - (Mike Burney) ('B') - 3:47
- "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" ('A') - 4:48
iTunes bonus track
- "Meet Me at the Jailhouse" - 0:47
- Included as a hidden track on the CD reissues
- Roy Wood – vocal, electric and acoustic guitars, sitar, cello, bassoon, baritone saxophone, string bass, B-flat bass tuba, trombone, recorders, percussion
- Rick Price – bass guitar, vocals, percussion
- Bill Hunt – piano, harpsichord, French horn, trumpet, flugel horn, tenor horn, bugle, euphonium, E flat tuba, little glass, trumpet, backing vocals
- Hugh 'H' McDowell – cello and ARP synthesiser.
- Nick Pentelow – tenor saxophone, clarinet & flute; bass backing vocals
- Mike Burney – alto, tenor, baritone & synthesized saxes, clarinet & flute
- Keith Smart – drums
- Charlie Grima – drums, congas, percussion
- The Cowbag Choir
- Thomas, Stephen. "Wizzard Brew - Wizzard, Wizzo Band : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 608. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Wizzard Brew - Wizzard, Wizzo Band : Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-06-26.