Wo Hop To
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2010)|
Wo Hop To (和合桃) is Triad group based in Wanchai, Hong Kong. The name translates to "Harmoniously United Association" or "Harmonious Union Plan" and is thought to have been founded in 1908 in Sai Ying Pun as a secret political organization in opposition to the Qing Dynasty.   They are one of the "Four Major Gangs" (四大黑幫) of Hong Kong, the others being Wo Shing Wo, 14K and Sun Yee On.
Activity in the United States
During the early 1990s, Wo Hop To expanded into the United States, beginning in San Francisco, California. The US Wo Hop To was led by Peter Chong (莊炳強) (also known as "Uncle Chong") and Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow (周國祥) a former Hop Sing Boys gang member. The Wo Hop To had plans to control all the Asian gangs in San Francisco and, from there, to branch out into drug distribution nationwide. Wo Hop To chased the Wah Ching gang out of the Bay Area and the Wah Ching headed to Southern California. The Wah Ching was the only surviving Chinatown gang during the 1980s. The Hop Sing Boys and Joe Boys were dismantled by police after the "Golden Dragon massacre". The Wo Hop To had taken over Chinatown after killing the Wah Ching leader Danny Wong.
- Chin, Ko-lin. Chinatown Gangs: Extortion, Enterprise, and Ethnicity. New York: Oxford UP, 1996. p 142.
- Valentine, Bill. Gang Intelligence Manual: Identifying and Understanding Modern-day Violent Gangs in the United States. Boulder, CO: Paladin, 1995. p 122.
- Nepstad, Peter (2001-03-15). "Triads". The Illuminated Lantern.
- SF Weekly Feature Article Profiling Member of Hop Sing Tong -- Raymond "Shrimp Boy" Chow (2007)
- http://www.sfweekly.com/issues/2000-06-14/news/feature_full.html - Information on Wo Hop Sing in the US.
|This Hong Kong–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|