Location within Silesian Voivodeship
|Coordinates (Wodzisław Śląski): Coordinates:|
|• Starosta||Tadeusz Skatuła|
|• Total||286.92 km2 (110.78 sq mi)|
|• Density||540/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
Wodzisław County (Polish: powiat wodzisławski) is a unit of territorial administration and local government (powiat) in Silesian Voivodeship, southern Poland, on the Czech border. It came into being on January 1, 1999, as a result of the Polish local government reforms passed in 1998. Its administrative seat and largest town is Wodzisław Śląski, which lies 49 kilometres (30 mi) south-west of the regional capital Katowice. The county contains three other towns: Rydułtowy, 7 km (4 mi) north of Wodzisław Śląski, Radlin, 4 km (2 mi) north-east of Wodzisław Śląski, and Pszów, 7 km (4 mi) north-west of Wodzisław Śląski.
The county covers an area of 286.92 square kilometres (110.8 sq mi). As of 2006 its total population is 155,228, out of which the population of Wodzisław Śląski is 50,493, that of Rydułtowy is 21,950, that of Radlin is 17,673, that of Pszów is 14,012, and the rural population is 52,274.
Wodzisław County is bordered by Racibórz County to the west, the city of Rybnik and Rybnik County to the north-east, and the city of Jastrzębie-Zdrój to the east. It also borders the Czech Republic to the south.
The county is subdivided into nine gminas (four urban and five rural). These are listed in the following table, in descending order of population.
Sights worth visiting
- the gothic church of "Sante Trinity" from 15th century (Kościół św. Trójcy), erected in 1257 year;
- the Monastery from 17th century ( "Klasztor franciszkański" ), erected in 1257 year;
- the neo-gothic church of "Assumption of St. Mary" (Kościół WNMP),
- the building of the former district authority (19th century),
- the neo-classical Wall tower ("Baszta rycerska"),
- the Classicism Palace oldest in Poland from 1745 year. (Today Museum),
- the old town squere (Rynek),
- the Palace in Kokoszyce (Pałac w Kokoszycach) 1823 year,
- Scales building KWK "Rydułtowy" (coal mine)
- Rail Tunnel
- St. George's Church
- Assumption of St. Mary's church
- Amadeus Wodzisław, ul. Jastrzębska 9
- Leśniczówka Wodzisław, ul. Marklowicka 21
- Odra Wodzisław, ul. Czyżowicka 29
Wodzisław County is twinned with: