|Associated acts||The Rakes|
Beau Holland (touring member)
Wolf Gang is a British alternative and symphonic rock band with Max McElligott as lead vocalist. Having played with different musicians, McElligott settled on the current live set up in late 2009 which includes Lasse Petersen (drums) previously of The Rakes, Gavin Slater (guitar) and James Wood (bass). When playing live the band also tours with a keyboard player, currently Beau Holland.
Wolf Gang's first album, Suego Faults was released in July 2011 on Atlantic Records. In February 2013, the band signed a worldwide record deal with American label Cherrytree Records, an imprint of Interscope Records, and wrote and recorded their second album the same year. The album was produced by Flood at Assault & Battery in London and will be released in 2014. An EP titled Black River featuring three tracks from the album was released in April. On October 8, Wolf Gang announced that their new album "Alveron" would be coming out on October 21st.
Beginnings and debut album
Prior to his music career, McElligott was a student at the London School of Economics where he studied social anthropology, when he decided to take a year off to try music. Suego Faults was recorded by McElligott, all the parts and instruments were played by him. He is proficient in playing the piano, his first instrument, as well as guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, trumpet and other instruments. The songs on the album were put together by McElligott and Dave Fridmann, producer of The Flaming Lips, MGMT and Mercury Rev. The two share co production credit on the album sleeve.
Wolf Gang have toured and played with some of the music industry's biggest names, including Coldplay, The Killers, Florence and the Machine, Keane, Metric, The Naked and Famous, Ellie Goulding and Miike Snow. They have headlined the UK twice, once to promote their debut album and the second as the headline act for the influential NME Radar Tour in late 2011. They have also both headlined and supported tours in Europe and North America. They played in Australia as part of Parklife Festival in 2010, and have performed their own sold out shows in New Zealand. Their latest tour of the US in October 2012 began with a sold out show at the prestigious Troubadour venue in LA, and ended up with a sold out show in Austin, Texas. Other notable shows include;
Two sold out headline shows at London's White Heat night.
Supporting Scissor Sisters at the Olympia Theatre in June 2011 at Arthur's Day Music Festival, in Dublin.
Festival slots include Rock en Seine, Lowlands, V Festival, Glastonbury, Bestival, T in the Park, Slottsfjell, Pukkelpop, London Calling and SXSW A sold out show at the final show of the NME Radar Tour at London's KOKO.
BBC Radio 1's Zane Lowe premiered the single 'Lions in Cages' on his show on 4 October 2010.
The band has received airplay in the UK from the likes of Absolute Radio, XFM, BBC 6 Music, BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 1.
'Lions in Cages', along with the 2011 single 'Dancing with the Devil' was added to the BBC Radio 1 B List in 2011 where it was played by Fearne Cotton, Greg James, Scott Mills and Chris Moyles.
'Lions in Cages' is currently being used as the Theme Song for new British TV Occult Comedy 'Switch', which started airing in October 2012.
The theme song for the BBC television football program for Final Score was Wolf Gang's "The King and All His Men" from 2011 to 2013
In the US 'Lions in Cages' features in a year-long 2012 nationwide TV campaign for General Motors and has also featured on the hit TV show Gossip Girl twice. The title track from the album 'Suego Faults' was used in the final scene of the closing episode of the series.
The band have been associated with a range of high end fashion labels, most notably Burberry who after having them perform an acoustic version of the song "Back to Back" invited them back to perform a stripped back acoustic set for their Fashion's Night Out event in September 2011. In June 2011 they played Emporio Armani's Summer Live gig supporting Plan B. More recently Wolf Gang performed at American designer Thom Browne's collection preview for Harrods.
Wolf Gang released their second album, entitled Alveron, on October 21, 2014. Alveron was produced by Grammy and BRIT Award-winning producer Flood, who is known for his work with U2, Nine Inch Nails, PJ Harvey, and many others.
- "Pieces of You" (Neon Gold)
- "Lions in Cages" (Atlantic Records)
- "Dancing with the Devil" (Atlantic Records)
- "The King and All of His Men" (Atlantic Records) #40 Billboard Alternative Songs
- "Back to Back" (Atlantic Records) (31 October 2011)
- Lester, Paul (24 July 2009). "New band of the day – Wolf Gang (No 592)". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang official Myspace". Myspace. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- "Wolf Gang sign to Cherrytree Records".
- Lester, Paul. "About". Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "EVERYBODY'S / News - Wolf Gang".
- "Suego Faults by Wolf Gang".
- "Wolf Gang".
- "Dollars to Pounds: Wolf Gang - The FADER".
- "95. Wolf Gang". GQ. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Wolf Gang to headline Emerge NME Radar tour". NME. 2 August 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang December European Tour '11".
- "Groove Armada and Missy Elliott to headline Parklife!". Onion.com.au. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang confirms headliner tour via twitter".
- "Behind the scenes". Teenage Cancer Trust. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang at Coachella 2012".
- "We're pleased to report that Keane will be supported by @WolfGang at the upcoming UK arena shows".
- "Bastille Support Tour Announced…".
- "BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Zane Lowe, Hype Night".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Nick Grimshaw, Wolf Gang plays the pop quiz and Trash Talk comes in Fresh off Stage".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Radio 1s Review Show, 29/03/2011".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 2 Programmes - Jo Whiley presents a mix of great new music and classic album tracks.".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Fearne Cotton".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Greg James, Tuesday - Adele makes Greg cry!".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - Scott Mills, Thursday - Home and Away... in the hairdressers".
- "BBC - BBC Radio 1 Programmes - The Chris Moyles Show".
- "2012 GMC Terrain Commercial".
- "Gossip Girl soundtrack Wolf Gang - Lions In Cages".
- "Back to Back by Wolf Gang - Burberry Acoustic".
- "Fashion's Night Out London 2011".
- "Emporio Armani Summer Live: Wolf Gang".
- "Wolf Gang by Thom Browne | Harrods.".
- Sullivan, Caroline (21 July 2011). "Wolf Gang: Suego Faults – review". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Gillespie, Duncan (19 July 2011). "Album Review: Wolf Gang - 'Suego Faults'". NME. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang already working on second album". NME. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Wolf Gang – Suego Falls". Chartstats.com. Archived from the original on 13 December 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "GOLD 005: WOLF GANG".
- "Lions in Cages Video". MTV. Retrieved 8 August 2011.