Wolf pack Wolf
Wolf was a wolf pack of German U-boats that operated from 13 July to 1 August 1942, attacking Convoy ON-113 in the Battle of the Atlantic during World War II. They sank two ships sunk totalling 12,078 gross register tons (GRT) and damaged another (8,093 GRT).
U-boats, commanders, and dates 
- U-43, Hans-Joachim Schwantke, 13–30 July
- U-71, Hardo Rodler von Roithberg, 13–30 July
- U-86, Walter Schug, 13–31 July
- U-90, Hans-Jürgen Oldörp, 13–24 July (sunk)
- U-379, Paul-Hugo Kettner, 13 July–1 August
- U-454, Burckhard Hackländer, 13–30 July
- U-552, Erich Topp, 13–30 July
- U-597, Eberhard Bopst, 13–30 July
- U-704, Horst Wilhelm Kessler, 13–31 July
- U-607, Ernst Mengersen, 25–30 July
- U-461, Wolf-Harro Stiebler, 26 July–1 August
Ships hit by this wolfpack 
British Merit 
The 8,093 ton British tanker British Merit was hit at 03:52 hours on 25 July, by a torpedo (one of two) fired by U-552. One man was killed by the explosion and another seriously injured. Two lifeboats with 32 men aboard were launched, and were picked up by HMCS Brandon, while the Master and 21 men remained aboard. The tug HMS Frisky took her into St. Johns, arriving on 2 August.
U-552 struck again at 04:09 hours on 25 July, hitting the 5,136 ton British merchant ship Broompark. The ship was taken in tow by the tug USS Cherokee, but sank on 28 July about 50 miles south-west of St. Johns. The Master and three men were lost, while 38 men and 7 gunners were picked up by HMCS Brandon.
Empire Rainbow 
At 07.57 hours on 26 July the 6,942 ton British merchant ship Empire Rainbow was hit and damaged by a torpedo fired by U-607. A few minutes later, at 08.11, the ship was hit again this time by a torpedo fired by U-704, which sank her. The entire crew; Master, 38 men and 8 gunners were picked up by HMS Burnham and HMCS Dauphin.
- "Wolfpack Wolf - Wolfpacks - U-boat Operations - uboat.net". uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "British Merit (Motor tanker) - Ships hit by U-boats - uboat.net". uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Broompark (Steam merchant) - Ships hit by U-boats - uboat.net". uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- "Empire Rainbow (Motor merchant) - Ships hit by U-boats - uboat.net". uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
|This German military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|