Life and work
After obtaining his Abitur from the Ravensberger Gymnasium in Herford in 1975 he studied at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen where he obtained his Diplom in 1981 and his doctoral degree under Tammo tom Dieck. The title of his thesis was „Eine allgemeine Beschreibung für Faserungen auf projektiven Klassengruppen und Whiteheadgruppen“.
From 1982 on he was research assistant and from 1985 on he was assistant in Göttingen. In 1989 Lück got his Habilitation. In the year 1990/91 he was Associate Professor at the university of University of Kentucky in Lexington.
From 1991 until 1996 he was professor at the Universität Mainz, from 1996 until 2010 he has been teaching at the Universität Münster, since 2010 he works at Universität Bonn. In 2003 he was awarded the Max-Planck-Forschungspreis and in 2008 the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize.
Lück has been working in the theory of L2-invariants (such as L2-Betti numbers and L2-cohomology) of manifolds in algebraic topology, which were originally introduced by Michael Atiyah and are defined by means of operator algebras. They have applications in group theory and geometry.
2009 and 2010 Lück has been president of the Deutschen Mathematiker-Vereinigung, whose vice president he had been since 2006.
Since October 2011 Lück is Director of HIM (Hausdorff Research Institute for Mathematics, Bonn).
- Transformation groups and algebraic K-theory, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, Springer, Bd.1408, 1989
- L2-Invariants: Theory and Application to Geometry and K-Theory, Springer, Ergebnisse der Mathematik, 2002
- with Kreck (Editor): The Novikov Conjecture – Geometry and Algebra, Oberwolfach Seminars, Birkhäuser 2004
- Algebraische Topologie:Homologie und Mannigfaltigkeiten, Vieweg 2005
- L2 Invarianten von Mannigfaltigkeiten und Gruppen, Jahresbericht DMV, Bd.99, 1997, Heft 3
- L2 Invariants and their application to geometry, group theory and spectral theory, in „Mathematics Unlimited – 2001 and Beyond“, Springer 2001
- Editor together with Farrell, Göttsche: Topology of High dimensional manifolds, ICTP Lecture Notes, 2002
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-02.
- Wolfgang Lück in the German National Library catalogue
- Official homepage of Wolfgang Lück
- Hausdorff Research Institute for Mathematics
- Press release of the University of Münster on the occasion of the award of the Leibniz prize
- Press release of the DFG on the occasion of the award of the Leibniz prize
- Lück at the Mathematics Genealogy Project