Wolfgang William, Count Palatine of Neuburg
|Wolfgang William, Count Palatine of Neuburg|
Wolfgang Wilhelm, Count Palatine of Neuburg on an engraving by Lucas Vorsterman
|Spouse(s)||Magdalene of Bavaria
Catharina Elisabeth Charlotte of Palatinate-Zweibrücken
Maria Franziska of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg
|Noble family||House of Wittelsbach|
|Father||Philip Louis, Count Palatine of Neuburg|
|Mother||Anna of Jülich-Cleves-Berg|
4 November 1578|
Neuburg an der Donau
|Died||20 March 1653
His parents were Philip Louis, Count Palatine of Neuburg, and Anna of Jülich-Cleves-Berg, a daughter of Wilhelm, Duke of Jülich-Cleves-Berg. He was the winner of the Succession War for the Duchies of Jülich and Cleves (1609–1614), and became thus the first ruler of Pfalz-Neuburg, who was also Duke of Jülich and Duke of Berg. In 1615, he was made a Knight in the Order of the Golden Fleece. Because he converted to Catholicism and practised a strict policy of neutrality in the Thirty Years' War, his territories escaped widespread destruction.
He moved his residence to Düsseldorf in 1636.
Marriage and issue
Wolfgang William married three times:
- In 1613 to Magdalene of Bavaria, who gave birth to Philip William, his successor.
- In 1631 to Catharina Elisabeth Charlotte of Palatinate-Zweibrücken, daughter of John II, Count Palatine of Zweibrücken, who gave birth to Ferdinand Philip and Eleonore Franziska.
- In 1651 to Countess Maria Franziska of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg, daughter of Egon VIII of Fürstenberg-Heiligenberg, they had no children.
- Wolfgang William, Count Palatine of Neuburg in the German National Library catalogue
- Biography and Portrait of Count palatine Wolfgang Wilhelm von Neuburg
- Ronny Baier (2003). "Pfalz-Neuburg, Wolfgang Wilhelm von, Pfalzgraf von Pfalz-Neuburg und Herzog von Jülich und Berg". In Bautz, Traugott. Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL) (in German) 21. Nordhausen: Bautz. cols. 1163–1168. ISBN 3-88309-110-3.
Wolfgang William, Count Palatine of NeuburgBorn: 1578 Died: 1653
|Count Palatine of Neuburg
Title last held byJohn William
|Duke of Jülich and Berg