Wolfroy Goes to Town
|Wolfroy Goes to Town|
|Studio album by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy|
|Released||4 October 2011|
|Genre||Americana, alternative country, folk|
|Label|| Drag City
|Bonnie 'Prince' Billy chronology|
Critical response to Wolfroy Goes to Town was generally positive. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received an average score of 76 ("Generally favorable reviews"), based on 21 professional reviews. Anthony Carew, writing for the Alt Music Guide, declared that the album was Oldham's "best, or at least most beautiful, since 1999's I See a Darkness". John Mulvey, in Uncut Magazine, noted that the album's "mood is even more quiet, delicate and sepulchral than that of The Wonder Show of the World", and approved of the sense of "unflinching intimacy, extreme focus... finely-wrought songs whittled down to their essence, then allowed to unravel in the most stately and unhurried way." Writing for Dusted, Joe Bernardi also commented on the album's starkness, suggesting that Wolfroy Goes To Town is "the sound of a lack, a series of sparse arrangements complementing desolate lyrics about rural desolation... The result makes for a listening experience that’s intense and potentially awkward, but one that also somehow rings true." No Ripcord's David John Wood compared the album to The Wicker Man, advising listeners not to "listen in the dark."
All songs written by Will Oldham.
- "No Match" - 5:55
- "New Whaling" - 5:39
- "Time to Be Clear" - 4:03
- "New Tibet" - 4:31
- "Black Captain" - 6:35
- "Cows" - 4:55
- "There Will Be Spring" - 3:32
- "Quail and Dumplings" - 4:57
- "We Are Unhappy" - 6:46
- "Night Noises" - 3:27
Bass – Danny Kiely
Drums, Percussion – Van Campbell
Electric Piano, Synthesizer, Pump Organ, Vocals [Extra Singing] – Ben Boyle
Guitars, Mandolin, Harmony Vocals – Emmett Kelly
Percussion, Guitar, Vocals – Shahzad Ismaily
Vocals – Angel Olsen
Illustration – Sammy Harkham
Mastered – Paul Oldham
Photography (Back Cover) – Shane Spaulding
- "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy:Wolfroy Goes to Town (2011): Reviews". Metacritic. CNET Networks, Inc. Retrieved 2011-10-12.
- "Bonnie Prince Billy Wolfroy Goes to Town - Album Review". Altmusic.about.com. 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Blogs". Uncut.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Dusted Reviews: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - Wolfroy Goes To Town". Dustedmagazine.com. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2012-03-31.
- "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy: Wolfroy Goes To Town - Music Review". No Ripcord. Retrieved 2012-03-31.