Woman in Love
|"Woman in Love"|
|Single by Barbra Streisand|
|from the album Guilty|
|Released||August 16, 1980|
|Format||Vinyl record (7")|
(Middle Ear, Miami Beach) 
|Producer(s)||Barry Gibb, Albhy Galuten, Karl Richardson|
|Barbra Streisand singles chronology|
"Woman in Love" is a song performed by Barbra Streisand and taken from her 1980 album, Guilty. The song was written by Barry and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees, who received the 1980 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically.
After the success enjoyed by the Bee Gees in the late 1970s, the band was asked to participate in musical endeavors for other artists, and Streisand asked Barry Gibb to write an album for her. This album ultimately became Guilty. "Woman in Love", as the lead single, became one of the most successful songs of Streisand's music career. It spent a total of three weeks at the number-one position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, Streisand's fifth (and last to date) number one on this chart. It also spent five weeks atop the adult contemporary chart, her sixth number one on that tally. The song also proved very popular internationally, reaching number one in many countries, including in the UK Singles Chart. According to Billboard Magazine,the single sold 2.5 million copies worldwide till December 1980.
About midway through the song, Streisand holds a note for about 10 seconds while singing the line: I stumble and fall / But I give you it all (the word "all" is the one held for that duration). During the chart run of "Woman In Love", Casey Kasem claimed in an edition of the radio program American Top 40 that this was the longest unaltered note held by a soloist in a number-one song. Streisand has openly stated that she doesn't like the song because she doesn't believe in the meaning of the lyrics. She has rarely performed the song live but she did however sing it on a couple of dates on her 2013 European tour.
The music video for the song was taken from various movies.
|A||"Woman in Love"||3:48|
Charts and sales
Sales and certifications
|Barbra Streisand||Lead vocals|
|Barry Gibb||acoustic guitar, arrangement|
|Pete Carr||Lead Guitar|
|Richard Tee||Keyboards, electric piano|
|Harold Cowart||Bass guitar|
|Denise Maynelli||Background vocals|
|Myrna Mathews||Background vocals|
|Marti McCall||Background vocals|
|Jerry Peel||French horn|
Barry Gibb's version
|"Woman in Love"|
|Song by Barry Gibb from the album The Guilty Demos|
Criteria Studios, Miami, Florida
|Writer||Barry & Robin Gibb|
|The Guilty Demos track listing|
"Woman in Love" is the first demo Barry Gibb recorded for Barbra Streisand's album Guilty. This composition by the Gibb brothers Barry and Robin would become the album's very successful first single. And it was due to this demo that Barry Gibb became the first male artist to sing the song, though it was originally recorded for Streisand alone in order for her to sing the song for her album.
The Greek singer Anna Vissi recorded a Greek version of the song ("Το Ξέρω Θα 'Ρθεις Ξανά") for her album Ναι ("Yes") in 1980. Legendary French singer Mireille Mathieu recorded a French version ("Une Femme Amoureuse") in 1980. Danish songstress Gitte Hænning recorded a German version titled "Die Frau, die dich liebt". Eleni Tzoka, a Polish singer of Greek descent, recorded a Polish cover of the song titled "Zrobię ten błąd" (I'll Make that Mistake). The lyrical idea is completely different from the original version. Turkish pop star Nilüfer recorded a Turkish version of the song called "Ben Seni Seven Kadin"(I am the woman who loves you) in 1981. In 1982 the Hungarian singer Kati Kovács sang it in English on Top 12 album.
Czech singer Helena Vondráčková made minor hit in 1980 with her cover "To je štěstí (This Is Happiness)"
Jamaican singer Echo Minott did a 1982 version called 'Man In Love' which provided the rhythm for Dillinger's 'Five Man Army', and for the Massive Attack song of the same name.
In 2006, the Italian singer Filippa Giordano recorded a Spanish version of "Women in Love" called "Me he enamorado de ti". It was released in Mexico on her album, Primadonna.
On February 13, 2006, Liz McClarnon from Atomic Kitten, released a cover of "Woman in Love" as her first solo single. The track was produced by Robin Gibb who co-authored the song. McClarnon's version peaked at number five in the UK Top 40.
In October 2012, the all-male vocal quartet The Tenors (formerly The Canadian Tenors) released a version in Spanish ("Me he enamorado de ti") on their album "Lead With Your Heart".
- Gibb Songs: Guilty (1980) (Accessed: Aug 9, 2006)
- Lister, David, Pop ballads bite back in lyrical fashion, The Independent, 28 May 1994
- Stichting Nederlandse Top 40, 500 nr.1 hits uit de Top 40, 9023009444 (Book in Dutch)
- Whitburn, Joel (1996). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 6th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 208–9. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Streisand Disks Dominate Global Charts. Billboard Magazine. December 6, 1980. Retrieved 2014-06-06.
- Dutch Top 40 Week 42 in 1980 (Accessed 18 June 2014)
- Infinity charts West German Top 20 - The Chart of December 1980 (Accessed November 2, 2006)
- IrishCharts.ie Irish chart search (Accessed November 2, 2006)
- Norwegian Charts "Woman in Love" page (Accessed October 29, 2006)
- SwedishCharts.com "Woman in Love" page (Accessed October 29, 2006)
- Official Swiss Charts (Accessed August 12, 2006)
- Official Austrian Charts "Woman in Love" page. Note: This is a biweekly chart (Accessed October 29, 2006)
- "French single certifications – Barbra Streisand – Woman in Love" (in French). InfoDisc. Select BARBRA STREISAND and click OK
- "Les Singles de Platine" [Platinum Singles] (in French). Infodisc.fr. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Barbra Streisand; 'Woman in Love')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- "British single certifications – Barbra Streisand – Woman in Love". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 13 April 2012. Enter Woman in Love in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American single certifications – Barbra Streisand – Woman in Love". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 13 April 2012. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Gibb Songs : 1979". Columbia.edu. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- "Dana International :: International singles". Phreak.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- "Tahwak Clip Officiel - Sofia Marikh | تهواك - صوفيا مريخ". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen
|Billboard number one single
25 October 1980 – 8 November 1980
"Lady" by Kenny Rogers
"Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen
|Canadian RPM 100 number-one single
22 November 1980 – 29 November 1980
"Dreamer" by Supertramp
"Don't Stand So Close to Me" by The Police
|UK number-one single
25 October 1980
(for three weeks)
"The Tide Is High" by Blondie