A womance is a close but non-sexual relationship between two (or more) women, a form of affectional or homosocial intimacy.
The word is womance is a portmanteau of the words woman and romance.
Examples of womances in popular culture include the films Thelma and Louise (1990), Muriel's Wedding (1994), Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (1997), and Bridesmaids (2011), as well as the TV series Laverne and Shirley. Several current TV series feature notable "womances".
The Australian feature film Jucy (2010) is billed as a "womantic" comedy.
- ^ Definition at Urban Dictionary
- ^ 'Where's the Womance?' by Laurie Wheeler, Centre of the Psychology of Women, Feb 24, 2011
- ^ 'Womance What a Wonderful Word' by Christine Jacobs at Leading Women, posted August 2, 2011
- ^ 'Top 10 Womances On TV Today' by Lauren Barbato, The Morning After on Hulu, September 28, 2011
- ^ 'One Jucy on Screen Womance for the Gold Coast', by Caroline Russo, Tamborine Daily Star, November 9, 2010