|Population||1,402 (2006 census)|
|LGA(s)||South Burnett Region|
Wondai // is a town in the South Burnett region of Queensland, Australia. The town is located to the south of the Bunya Highway, 241 kilometres (150 mi) north west of the state capital, Brisbane. At the 2006 census, Wondai had a population of 1,402. Wondai is named for the local aboriginal word for dingo, or native dog.
Wondai was first settled in the 1850s and closer settlement took place in the early 1900s.
Wondai has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
Notable people from Wondai include
- Australian Test cricketers Carl Rackemann and Nathan Hauritz.
- Country music artist/comedian Chad Morgan
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Wondai (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
- Macquarie Dictionary, Fourth Edition]] (2005). Melbourne, The Macquarie Library Pty Ltd. ISBN 1-876429-14-3
- "24 HOURS OF SADNESS HITS THE SOUTH BURNETT". Just Racing. Phil Purser. 2004. Retrieved 2007-03-01.
- "Boondooma Homestead (entry 15742)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
Media related to Wondai, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons
|This Queensland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|