Wonderful Grand Band
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
|The Wonderful Grand Band|
Image from Living in a Fog back cover.
|Origin||St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada|
|Years active||1978–1983 (Reunion 1997) 2009–present|
|Labels||Grand East Records|
|Associated acts||Ron Hynes
Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers
The group had a short-lived eponymous television musical variety show on CBC Television, producing over 40 half-hour episodes between 1980 and 1983. The show starred Hynes, Morris, Perry (later replaced by Warden, who died in 1999), Simmons (later replaced by Annan, who died in 2010), Russell (later replaced by Snider), and Wiseman (later replaced by Stamp), as well as CODCO comedians Greg Malone and Tommy Sexton, who died in 1993. The show combined original and traditional music with topical comedy sketches and satire, some of which was directed at the CBC itself. The band reunited in 2009 for a series of concerts throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, in conjunction with the release of two DVDs containing 12 episodes of the TV show. A second, one-off reunion was held in August, 2012 at a Ron Hynes concert held before Hynes entered treatment for throat cancer.
- Ron Hynes – lead vocals, guitars, mandolin (1978–1983) (1997)
- 'Magical' Ron Hynes performs before cancer treatment; CBC News; August 11, 2012 http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/08/12/nl-hynes-performs-before-cancer-treatment-811.html
- Too Foolish To Talk About? — The Independent article by Ryan Cleary.
- Still Wonderful Grand - The Independent article by Ivan Morgan
- Wunnerful Grand - The Telegram (St. John's, Newfoundland) Geoff Meeker's blog
- Wonderful Grand Band Wonderful Grand Band official site
|This Newfoundland and Labrador-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Canadian band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|